PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I have the Thunderbird butane pipe insert, a soft-flame Zippo insert (not pipe insert) and the standard Zippo (naphtha) pipe insert. I am finding better success with the standard Zippo insert above the others. The Thunderbird, oddly, has a hole only on one side and isn't adjustable. The Zippo vertical soft-flame works, but is just awkward for a pipe. As a long-time cigar smoker I poo-pooed the standard Zippo for the smell the naphtha imparts, and I was surprised that the standard pipe insert has become my favorite.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have the Thunderbird butane pipe insert, a soft-flame Zippo insert (not pipe insert) and the standard Zippo (naphtha) pipe insert. I am finding better success with the standard Zippo insert above the others. The Thunderbird, oddly, has a hole only on one side and isn't adjustable. The Zippo vertical soft-flame works, but is just awkward for a pipe. As a long-time cigar smoker I poo-pooed the standard Zippo for the smell the naphtha imparts, and I was surprised that the standard pipe insert has become my favorite.
the answer I was looking for

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I gave up on mine quickly, but plan on testing it again tonight, along with my new Peterson 'old boy'-style. I'm a long time match user, but also a hardware junkie.

Reactions: AreBee

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
I gave up on mine quickly, but plan on testing it again tonight, along with my new Peterson 'old boy'-style. I'm a long time match user, but also a hardware junkie.
I have just received ZIPPO Yellow Flame PIPE Butane Insert-- bought from ZIPPO.CANADA : after just 2-3 times, it stopped working. Paid Can.$ 35, plus Taxes... : I contacted ZIPPO.CANADA-- hopefully, INSERT is Covered by ZIPPO's Warranty--but not sure....; [[ I have 2 " THUNDERBIRD " Inserts, both working Fine ; also, on " Thunderbird"-- you can see the Fuel Level, on Zippo-- you can't. ]. ZIPPO looks nicely built, but--as I mentioned, Stopped working after just 2-3 Ignitions : sparks-- only. I tried Bleeding// refilling Waiting, again and again : Nothing, sparks--only....... Leon K Toronto

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I bought one recently and been trying it out. Not overly impressed. Flame seems to want to find my thumb that has to hold the button down if there is the slightest of wind. Blows out with less wind than the liquid fuel zippo. Good for inside and calm days though.
I had a similar experience. They should have used an Old Boy type (or regular Zippo, for that matter) system where nothing needs to be held down after ignition. With my fat fingers I can’t even use it

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just looked it up, and that’s the way to go

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Why are you surprised? It was made for lighting a pipe. My Grandpa used one that worked perfectly. No reason to change the design, I have the same model he used when I was a kid. Still works perfectly especially outdoors.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
The
I have just received ZIPPO Yellow Flame PIPE Butane Insert-- bought from ZIPPO.CANADA : after just 2-3 times, it stopped working. Paid Can.$ 35, plus Taxes... : I contacted ZIPPO.CANADA-- hopefully, INSERT is Covered by ZIPPO's Warranty--but not sure....; [[ I have 2 " THUNDERBIRD " Inserts, both working Fine ; also, on " Thunderbird"-- you can see the Fuel Level, on Zippo-- you can't. ]. ZIPPO looks nicely built, but--as I mentioned, Stopped working after just 2-3 Ignitions : sparks-- only. I tried Bleeding// refilling Waiting, again and again : Nothing, sparks--only....... Leon K Toronto
Zippo is well known for good warranties. Yes I’ve heard bleeding is a solution, and cheap Chinese flints, maybe try new flints even if it sparks. I’ve not come across either issue though.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
Bleedins,
The

Zippo is well known for good warranties. Yes I’ve heard bleeding is a solution, and cheap Chinese flints, maybe try new flints even if it sparks. I’ve not come across either issue though.
New ( Original ) Flint,.....--- Nothing works, sparks-- Only. I contacted ( E Mailed) both ZIPPO.Canada,-- and USA : hope,-- any help- will come...., in the meantime-- out of $ 40, and surprised=-- by ( ZIPPO !! ) POOR Quality ( INSERT--Made in China, but if ZIPPO allows them-- to use It;s name,-- then ZIPPO should stand behind products wearing it !

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Bleedins,

New ( Original ) Flint,.....--- Nothing works, sparks-- Only. I contacted ( E Mailed) both ZIPPO.Canada,-- and USA : hope,-- any help- will come...., in the meantime-- out of $ 40, and surprised=-- by ( ZIPPO !! ) POOR Quality ( INSERT--Made in China, but if ZIPPO allows them-- to use It;s name,-- then ZIPPO should stand behind products wearing it !

Almost completely sure they will, you just mail it in. Yes that’s my point, I’ve heard people say the ORIGINAL new Chinese flints that come with the lighter aren’t good, you need original zippo flints, again that’s just what I’ve heard.

Redtech

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023
I bought one when they first came out, worked fairly well for a couple of months. Now it will light, but dies not stay lit long enough to get a pipe going. I think it is dirty, but Zippo didn't make it serviceable so it is useless. Would be nice if were easy to disassemble and clean up, adjustable flame would be better too.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Why are you surprised? It was made for lighting a pipe. My Grandpa used one that worked perfectly. No reason to change the design, I have the same model he used when I was a kid. Still works perfectly especially outdoors.
The surprise has more to do with the fuel. I’ve always used butane for cigars and thought the naphtha would affect the flavors of pipe tobacco. I stand corrected.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper