Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Zippo/Ronsolol are just Naptha, I just buy Naptha by the gallon at the hardware store and put it in a hair dye bottle to fill lighters. I've been doing it for years its cheaper and more effective.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
But you said a ton of naphtha varies in weight, HOW???. Excuse my ignorance but isn’t a ton of feathers or a ton of naphtha a ton. Now if you said that weight might vary in a volumetric measure like bushel, cord or barrel then I would understand.

I’m ignorant too about all this.

But a gallon of water is eight pounds, and a gallon of gasoline is 6.2.

Zippp fuel grade, light naphtha seems to average 5.5 pounds, but heavier grades are as heavy as gas.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Naptha is a generic term for napthenic hydrocarbons in forms of many different aliphatic hydrocarbons. Paraffinic is the other type including isoparaffinic. Within the napthenic division there are different boiling points, vapor pressures and other differences. Not all naphtha is naphtha. Have to view the MSDS for the CAS numbers specific to the type of naphtha.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m ignorant too about all this.

But a gallon of water is eight pounds, and a gallon of gasoline is 6.2.

Zippp fuel grade, light naphtha seems to average 5.5 pounds, but heavier grades are as heavy as gas.
Well, yes, the same volume of a liquid may well vary by weight, but you, BL, had said that a ton of naphtha will be greater or lesser than a ton, or words to that effect.

Let's move on! You don't need to acknowledge that mistake.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Well, yes, the same volume of a liquid may well vary by weight, but you, BL, had said that a ton of naphtha will be greater or lesser than a ton, or words to that effect.

Let's move on! You don't need to acknowledge that mistake.

I never mean to mislead anyone, and I’m sorry if I do.

But there’s variance in grades of naphtha, and a lot of antique tractors used to run on “white gas”. And when I was a child the gas stations had a kerosene pump for oil lamps, and sometimes a white gas pump for tractors as well.

In 1969 my father bought a gallon of kerosene, and used it to dose the fire in the stove in his milk barn.

The can exploded in his hands, and he’d ran hot water in the front to clean up and he jumped in to smother the flames.

Then he finshed milking, cleaned up, and stood up there as worship leader at church, red as a beet. He was a good deal tougher than me, about such things.:)

The station checked and they’d got a load of white gas in the kerosene tank.

Why I don’t think Zippo would increase the volatility of lighter fuel is can you even imagine the lawsuits?

You fill your Zippo too close to an ignition source and BOOOM!.:)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I was just going to buy some fluid for the old Zippos... I have been using Bics, but want to try the gasket on the zippo and see if the fuel lasts longer, as I have some old favorite lighters.

Zippo fluid seems to be light Naptha and petroleum distalates: https://certification.zippo.com/Documents/Safety Data Sheet/English/Zippo Lighter Fluid - NA.pdf

The Naptha linked above from HD is straight light Naptha: https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/93/938b9cf9-0e69-4c11-a2a0-cf9792527b62.pdf

I found this video comparing burn times:

Do with all that what you desire.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I was just going to buy some fluid for the old Zippos... I have been using Bics, but want to try the gasket on the zippo and see if the fuel lasts longer, as I have some old favorite lighters.

Zippo fluid seems to be light Naptha and petroleum distalates: https://certification.zippo.com/Documents/Safety Data Sheet/English/Zippo Lighter Fluid - NA.pdf

The Naptha linked above from HD is straight light Naptha: https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/93/938b9cf9-0e69-4c11-a2a0-cf9792527b62.pdf

I found this video comparing burn times:

Do with all that what you desire.

Thanks for that comparison.

The OP could be right our lighter fluid doesn’t burn as long, and if so it’s because Zippo is trying to lawyer proof their product, to make it less hazardous.

My Zippo fluid causes cancer in the State of California, your children ought not swallow it, but it’s missing a lot of the hazard emblems straight naphtha cans carry.

IMG_7339.jpeg

I wonder what “fractional distillates” Zippo uses that can’t be labeled as naphtha?

The bottom 15% of a barrel of oil produces lots of different products, don’t it?