PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
This one seems t one polarizing. So, if you are using a regular lighter fluid Zippo to light your pipes, do you actually find that it imparts a taste into your pipe tobacco? Not talking about the obvious smell of the fluid - I mean an actual taste in the bowl.
Personally, I find that it is only the smell and find no difference in taste in the lit tobacco.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I use Zippo fuel in my windproof one, and I notice no taste at all. In fact, I smoke slowly while reading outside, and often need to relight... The first sips after a relight are often the best, maybe because of the fresh smoke coming down through the unburnt tobacco?

Reactions: badbriar

jxr182

Lurker
Oct 13, 2023
Oklahoma
I had a soft flame pipe lighter I loved but had to refill practically every day. So I switched to a Zippo. I do sometimes taste the aroma when I’m actually lighting but not really after that. Like @jpmcwjr said, I try to avoid the flame touching the tobacco on relights, but can’t avoid it on the initial light.

Kspipe

Lurker
Sep 23, 2023
Kansas
I used a zippo for years and even a nimrod. Never really thought I was tasting any fluid but then I started using a butane flame and whoa. I was shocked when I picked up my old fluid lighters how much transfer of lighter fluid taste I was getting. Still love my old zippo and looking to get a butane insert.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
There's an obvious hydrocarbon vapor cloud under the closed cap of any filled Zippo. In order for the lighter to ignite on the first attempt, and to eliminate the fuel scent, you're supposed to pull the lighter out of your pocket, flip the cap, and bring the lighter up to your pipe in a sweeping gesture, to dissipate the vapor. You can also blow on it before striking. If memory serves, this is explained in the instruction booklet. Or was. In any event, it works. I can detect no scent, if done correctly, and the lighter lights on first strike every time.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Count me as one of the hyper sensitive ones. The dissipation methods don't completely eliminate it for me. It doesn't spoil the bowl, but it spoils the first few minutes. I've also been told I have the nose of a bloodhound, which is a blessing and a curse. But the taste/smell of Zippos is like the Lakeland of lighter fluid to my senses - Just a tiny bit is a bugaboo, so why bother. It's a bummer because I inherited my Father in law's old Zippo collection too.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I smell a bit of the fluid when I open it for the first time, but it's never translated to taste - at least for me. Use it almost exclusively since I only smoke outside. I like the pipe insert too and the way you have to draw the flame down. I feel like it keeps me from scorching the rims of my pipes.