PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I am thoroughly convinced that something in my body chemistry destroys lighters. In the last year, I've bought several pipe lighters and all of them have failed. Of course are mostly joking, but I would like to find something reliable. Admittedly I'm not spending top dollar on the light I have but they aren't cheap either. Lately I've been using cheap dollar store bics and they get the job done, but there has to be a better way. I read about the zippo pipe lighters and I am interested! I'm curious if any of you use this lighter and what you think of it?

Reactions: BCF and JOHN72

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I like it. Some people claim that it makes the tobacco taste of the fluid. I disagree. That generally only happens if you either over saturate your lighter or immediately put the flame to the tobacco. Give it a second or two when you light it and the flame will burn off the excess fluid from general use. (Mind you this will not help an over filled lighter)

Reactions: BCF and JOHN72

Dandra777

Lurker
Mar 11, 2024
This is lighter I'm using at the time. Seems to be durable. I dropped it a couple of times. I have another one like it, but without the pipe stand. Both are butane lighters, and both purchased from the "GREAT AMAZON".

Attachments

• 17147869060298250669426353260888.jpg
    17147869060298250669426353260888.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: JOHN72

Dandra777

Lurker
Mar 11, 2024
This is lighter I'm using at the time. Seems to be durable. I dropped it a couple of times. I have another one like it, but without the pipe stand. Both are butane lighters, and both purchased from the "GREAT AMAZON".
I do have a zippo lighter too, but use this one more.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I am a diehard Zippo fan. Haven't NOT had one in my pocket for over 10 years now. This standard one I got new, Has been in my pocket since early 2021.

PXL_20240504_014809285.jpgPXL_20240504_014817896.jpg

My brass Armor Zippo, I had on me for 8 years. My daughters birthyear zippo. Sent it in twice in that time to have the hinge replaced. Fantastic customer service.

PXL_20210409_173806659.jpg
PXL_20230104_041623221.MP.jpg

I love them for cigarettes or pipes.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Zippo. I've always loved these devices. It's been years since I've enjoyed them. I gave them away, I lost them, some of them broke down. Until recently, a good friend, fellow forum member, burleybreath, gave me a second hand one, and then I bought a new one. They are very versatile, ideal for tobacco. The only downside is that in hot weather, the fuel evaporates quickly. Also the kibiri are fantastic, with this one, I have no problems with the fuel, when it is hot.IMG_6554.jpg

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I really didn’t want to get one because of what people say about the fluid taste. Another thread has my post about that.

They are so damn nostalgic. I can remember owning one almost 20 years ago. I wasn’t smoking a pipe back then.

I ordered a vintage one from Germany to try out and plan on ordering a pipe insert from Amazon. The black container of fuel is what I will use and find out for myself of there is any taste.

I hope it works out for me. I can barely wait to use it. You can’t really beat a lifetime warranty, too.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I really didn’t want to get one because of what people say about the fluid taste. Another thread has my post about that.

They are so damn nostalgic. I can remember owning one almost 20 years ago. I wasn’t smoking a pipe back then.

I ordered a vintage one from Germany to try out and plan on ordering a pipe insert from Amazon. The black container of fuel is what I will use and find out for myself of there is any taste.

I hope it works out for me. I can barely wait to use it. You can’t really beat a lifetime warranty, too.

I’m fine with matches and Bic lighters but I also want a Zippo for the nostalgia factor. The price is reasonable so why not? I think I will eventually get one with the pipe insert and give it a try.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You could try these types of Bic lighters from Amazon.

BIC Multi-Purpose Lighters, Long Metal Wand, Great for Grills, Fireplaces and Candles, Utility Lighter, Assorted Colors and Smores Design, 4-Count

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I actually hate the Zippos lighter made for pipes with the hole on the side. I have to suck really hard just to get the flame down into the pipe. I don't have a lot of experience sucking hard though. :) I just prefer using a regular zippos and tilt it into the pipe and think it works better.

Reactions: paulfg