PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I was going thru a box of junk I bought on craigslist, and found a crushed beyond all recognition zippo lighter, I know they have a crazy good warranty, but how crazy good? think they'll fix this Zippo stamped ball of metal?

I posted this in another thread, but it was buried quickly. Anyone have an answer? I read that zippo has yet to charge a cent for any windproof lighter repair, but really, how far can that be taken?
*just noticed, my posts are orange, I am now a member!*

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
No, they will not fix it, most likely the'll give you a new one. I'll bet on it.
*just noticed, my posts are orange, I am now a member!*
It's the little things in life that count, congrats.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
What's the harm in trying. Send it to em and if they say no then they'll send it back. But i've heard that they'll replace anything that can be repaired as long as you can read the Zippo branding on the bottom.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
years ago a neighbor dropped his in a hammermill and just had bits n pieces. zippo sent him a new one.
most zippo repairs are like that because the damn things don't wear out...

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Yeapper, the things are reasonably cheap to make, the call-ins on that flawless promise aren't too common to fulfill, and a careful person (barring a stroke of bad luck) will never need the warranty.
I got my grandfather a Zippo that way once (found pieces of one after running the trash compactor at CCA), sent in scrap, they sent me a lighter with an apology for not being able to restore it but hoping I'd be happy with the new one.
My brother sent in one once because the flint was out and he didn't know it could be replaced -- they were kind enough to send it back with a new piece in it and instructions on how to do it himself.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
The big thing that goes on those Zippo's is the hinge, but with normal use it still should last many years.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Not to jack this thread but... can i?

Well i'm considering getting a zippo through amazon* and i was wondering if zippos need some kind of special tool for butane application. I heard the zippo fluid can affect tobacco taste and i would rather fill the zippo with this:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-BUT2-2&cat=13
* http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-200PL-Brushed-Chrome-Lighter/dp/B001OYLC6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300914522&sr=8-1
or

* http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Pipe-Lighter-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B001DKHJXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300914522&sr=8-3
Sorry i've never jacked a thread before ill never do it again =( :(

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
shotokun16, I don't think you want to but butane fluid in that Zippo.

It's made for Zippo or Ronson fluid. I think Zippo does make butane

lighters, but that's not one of them.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Post pics of before and after.

I really should have, the lighter was literally a ball of crumpled metal with a moderately visible zippo stamp on what used to be the bottom. I find I don't post pictures very often because of the hassle, taking them, uploading them to an outside image hosting source, and then posting.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just sent one of my cigar Zippo's in to have them put in the pipe chimney. They're supposed to do it for free. They rec'd my lighter and sent me an email saying the conversion would be sent out in a few weeks. My favored Zippo is from the White House, it was given to the Governor of Maryland by Bush, who donated it to a charity auction that I won. I'll put the cigar chimney in that body. I'll post how long it takes to get my lighter returned.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I know for a fact,I had a friend who worked for the railroad.He has one ran over by a train,LOL,Im talking about a pancake.Just for giggles he contacted zippo,sent it in,and they replaced it :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.