PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Can anyone recommend a few classic snuff blends that best cover the main categories? Straight, floral, German, menthol, etc. I would like to try, but wouldn't know where to start.
Floral I would say Tube Rose, it has some straightness, Navy or RailRoad Mills would be my opinion on straightness. I haven’t used any menthol or German snuff. Hope this helps.

Reactions: BobbyD
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
After opening a tin, how long do you have (on average) before it dries out?
I think it depends on the container. The plastic tap containers seal really well. I’ve got a container of Poschl Silverstone Orange from 2004 that I revisit from time to time as a special treat. I don’t have the palate to tell if it has changed in almost 20 years, but it’s still delightful. I’d buy a lot more if I could!

Reactions: dublinpiper90

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Can anyone recommend a few classic snuff blends that best cover the main categories? Straight, floral, German, menthol, etc. I would like to try, but wouldn't know where to start.
Never tried a straight or unscented snuff so can't recommend one.
F&T Seville - citrus
Hedges The Snuff - menthol
Wilson Rows of sharrow - floral
F&T Irish Toast - leather & tobacco

Reactions: BobbyD

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
menthol: Jip
fruit: for citrus, I like Otto classic OM and Rosinski's Sans Souci. It's has some menthol in it though.
straight: Toque Natural
German: Rosinski Frankfurter or Oberländer for Schmalzler style snuffs
SP: GH SP
floral: McChrystals vintage velvet

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Wow I'm surprised at how many nasal snuff users there are here.

I've been using snuff off and on for over 20 years. I was introduced to snuff when I was an underground coal miner as a young man (almost 10 years underground), the English and polish miners I worked with would always bring a bunch back when they went back to visit.

My favorite snuff is McChrystal original, some years back I managed to order straight from the factory before the rules changed. In fact I still have 2 unopened 200gr tubs of McChrystals.

I don't really do much nasal snuff anymore, I found that it clogs my nose even if I use it sparingly. I also found that using snuff reduced the taste and enjoyment of my pipes. For times when I can't smoke my pipe, I prefer to dip (top deck/no spit) and usually carry a tin in my pocket.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Straight- Samuel Gawith Kendal original, Kendal brown, silky dark,
Taxi red, Viking blonde, Viking thors hammer, Viking brown, Viking dark,
Floral- wilsons of sharrow Rose, wallflower
German-Rosinkski is very praised but I haven't tried it
Scmalzers is the German style to me. Poschl SF sudefrucht and the rest of those are all good
Menthol I'd only get one as some peoples nose have a reaction and cant do it. Ill have a wake-up blast of menthol to wake up but that's it
Redbull
Also Gawith hoggarth camphor menthol is great
SP is a category. Gawith hoggarth SP is awesome. Wilson's of sharrow best SP, Tom buck, grand Cairo is very different with a floral note, sp 100, gold label
Then fruit
Samuel Gawith Celtic talisman is cherry goodness, Raspberry, there's coffee flavour, black Arriba,chocolate. I find Sam Gawith and G&H use the best base tobacco and is easy to take. WoS is kind of a plain tobacco but heavily scented.
That's just the tip of the iceberg I probably have a lifetime and got into it 5 years ago. Artisansnuff.com is your best site to order from he's in a price war with mrsnuff and is way cheaper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
P.J. O'Roark , the political journalist and satirist, was said to serve snuff at parties. Snuff's hayday was probably the 18th and 19th Centuries when elaborate snuff boxes were a rage in high society.

I had enough trouble with hay fever as a child to dissuade me from putting anything in my nostrils. Living at the coast and at sea for four years in the Navy actually seemed to make that much better, but not enough to make me take up snuff.
Yeah it messes with my sinuses pretty bad. The small stash I bought last month will last me forever.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Never tried any of McCrrystals snuffs, as good as or better than hedges would you say?
McChrystals isn't a bad snuff at all. It's not amazing, but it's certainly not going to disappoint. I'd say it's worth a smaller tin to try if you were curious about tossing one in for your next order.

Eta: I've never had Hedges, so I can't compare. But it's right there with Silver Dollar if you've ever had that.