PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I’ve been looking at getting started on this stuff, anyone have any recommendations? NO Menthol, something mild that possibly doesn’t bite/burn.

Was browsing Mr.Snuff website and yeah so many options.

Thanks!

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Never snuffed, but I love Christmas smells and deep icy pine scents, and musty barns. Lived in India awhile and so looking for similar experiences too, something that might bring those memories back sharper and more vivid.

Browsing Mr.Snuff, I might grab:

Old English, Original and Genuine, Thor’s Hammer, High Dry T, 6 Photo Kailash, Super Kailash, Bernard Fichtennadel, 6 Photo Special 45 g, Fubar Natural.

Any other suggestions?

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
To sustain my daily nicotine intake when not able to smoke a pipe indoor, I've been using snuff throughout the day for that quick hit. I've tried just about all types of snuffs and brands. So far the snuffs in my daily rotation are Jip, GH CM, GH SP, and Simply Snuff's Chin-Chin. I'll have some Indian snuffs from time to time but they usually overpower the flavor of other snuffs so I typically dedicate a day just for them.

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I’ve been looking at getting started on this stuff, anyone have any recommendations? NO Menthol, something mild that possibly doesn’t bite/burn.

Was browsing Mr.Snuff website and yeah so many options.

Thanks!
I recommend GH's SP. It have a good moisture content so it's easier to take than the typically drier SPs. GH's base flour is top notch, IMO.

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Although once a upon a time I practiced Zen, but today I tried Zyn, and found it revolting. Yuk! The 3g version tasted disgusting, burned my cheek and tongue, and was somewhat disorienting. Granted I tried it around 9am. But this is coming from someone who LOVES War Horse, Ten Russians, and Nightcap and pipes more than once a day. What am I missing?

Has anyone else given Zyn a try? Thoughts? Hopefully this won't be my experience with snuff. I just placed a decent, 'exploratory' order with Mr. Snuff!

+ DeaconPiper

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
After opening a tin, how long do you have (on average) before it dries out?
I'm not too concerned about snuff drying out. I usually use up 10g worth of snuff within two weeks. Currently using a 25g tin of GH CM that's more than a month old since I opened it and it's still moist, albeit very slightly dryer than when first opened.

For long term storage, I decant the snuffs into airtight glass jars and keep them away from sunlight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
P.J. O'Roark , the political journalist and satirist, was said to serve snuff at parties. Snuff's hayday was probably the 18th and 19th Centuries when elaborate snuff boxes were a rage in high society.

I had enough trouble with hay fever as a child to dissuade me from putting anything in my nostrils. Living at the coast and at sea for four years in the Navy actually seemed to make that much better, but not enough to make me take up snuff.

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Never snuffed, but I love Christmas smells and deep icy pine scents, and musty barns. Lived in India awhile and so looking for similar experiences too, something that might bring those memories back sharper and more vivid.

Browsing Mr.Snuff, I might grab:

Old English, Original and Genuine, Thor’s Hammer, High Dry T, 6 Photo Kailash, Super Kailash, Bernard Fichtennadel, 6 Photo Special 45 g, Fubar Natural.

Any other suggestions?
You may want to try SG's Pinewood Ice. As for finding the unadulterated horse barn scent, any natural snuff may get you there. Bernard Gekachelter Virginie and SG's KB Original are good choices.

6 Photos, and most other Indian snuffs, tend to have a strong ammonia scent. You may want to air it out for a few hours first before taking them, unless you prefer that smell which reminds me of urinal 😀

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
I use to use it alot when I chewed more frequently , being from the south I dipped it or mixed with my chew, honey bee, tube rose, tops , railroad mills all good brands in my opinion

Reactions: PipeWI

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
There’s ways to use it other than through the nose? Is that common?
Yes, it’s not easy to get use to, but here in NC and southern states packing it in your lip or jaw is the only way it’s used around here, however the older generation that uses is sadly fading away and passing on, I remember my first try with snuff nicotine buzz like no other working In the fields with my grandmother

Reactions: PipeWI
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yes, it’s not easy to get use to, but here in NC and southern states packing it in your lip or jaw is the only way it’s used around here, however the older generation that uses is sadly fading away and passing on, I remember my first try with snuff nicotine buzz like no other working In the fields with my grandmother
Just to be absolutely clear, you’re talking about putting nasal snuff (the topic of this thread) in your lip? Seems like it would dissolve and disperse pretty quickly.

I tried dip once, in college. That was enough.

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
Just to be absolutely clear, you’re talking about putting nasal snuff (the topic of this thread) in your lip? Seems like it would dissolve and disperse pretty quickly.

That’s what I was thinking as well. In Canada we use dip and chew pretty much interchangeably but technically most of what’s sold is dip and I can’t understand putting snuff in your lip. That’s why I asked the original question.

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina

It will but you have to keep it packed it can be a challenge lol but I don’t know anyone that uses it the way it was originally made for

Reactions: Call Me Late

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
That’s what I was thinking as well. In Canada we use dip and chew pretty much interchangeably but technically most of what’s sold is dip and I can’t understand putting snuff in your lip. That’s why I asked the original question.
Yes nasal snuff, I in fact have a can of honeybee dry snuff and tube rose that I Occasionally use, the old timers id say more females would take a spoon and pack there jaw full

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
So I've been putting together an order on Toque of different nasal snuffs to try, anything that sounded good to me. I spent the past day and a half using it at work in between smoke breaks. It seems to work as intended mostly. The nicotine hit I think is what I'm missing in pipes. I love pipes tobaccos, but as a nicotine delivery system it's not what I'm looking for. Snuff along with pipes might be just the ticket away from cigarettes. Has anyone here successfully used snuff to get of cigs?