Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The Gentleman from Idaho stands opposed

February 28, 2020
Dear Mr. Smith
Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 2339, the Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2019. It is an honor to represent the people of Idaho, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you may know, H.R. 2339 was introduced to the House of Representatives by Congressman Frank Pallone Jr. of New Jersey on April 18th, 2019. According to the author of H.R. 2339, the bill would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the sale and marketing of tobacco products.

Most recently, this bill has been referred out of the Committee on Energy & Commerce for a final vote in the House of Representatives. As Congress takes further action on this issue, I'll be sure to remember your concerns with H.R. 2339. At this time, after reviewing the merits of H.R. 2339, I am unable to support the Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2019. I am honored to be your representative in Congress and I believe the best ideas come from the people in our local communities. During the 116th Congress, my priority is to support legislation that will uphold the Constitution of the United States, empower the people of Idaho, and limit federal red tape.

Should you have any additional comments or questions on this or any other issue, please contact me at my Meridian, Lewiston, Coeur d’Alene, or Washington, D.C. offices. I also invite you to sign up for my email newsletter by visiting my website at https://fulcher.house.gov.
Sincerely,
DOCUMENT_-_email_sig.jpg

Russ Fulcher
Member of Congress

Click here to receive my E-Updates.
Please do not reply to this email.
To share your thoughts please visit my website.
iqtrk.gif

Oct 7, 2016
Isn't this thought process kind of like taking poison and expecting someone else to die?

Or perhaps your cellar is set as is mine but I will still want to add to it if something catches my eye and I have the means to purchase it. = Local shop...

I got a S. Bang I might someday swap for a tin of Black Frigate if it comes down to it... ?‍☠️
The Newmans and their allies have, very, very mistakenly, IMO, drunk poison Kool Aid. No one in the tobacco industry who supports this legislation to any degree, as Newman does, along with the remaining members of the now split and diminished Premium Cigar Association, will get any patronage from me. Kretek, which is the parent company of Phillips and King which distributes Samuel Gawith, Gawith Hoggarth and 4th Generation pipe tobacco, has seen this movie before.

I would strongly encourage you to read the whole thing

I do have more than enough tobacco in my cellar to last many times any reasonable or unreasonable estimates of my remaining life span. But the nearest B&M to me is over 15 miles away, and their handicapped parking (no fault of the owner, who is a good enough guy, and who has more space devoted to pipes and tobacco than he probably should) is a total joke. On line sales are the only feasible means for me to try anything new, which happens every now and then, but I can live without trying Sambuca Barrel Aged whatever.

The impact on all “hobby” characteristics of pipe smoking will be enormous if an internet sales ban passes. And the vast majority of pipe smokers who buy pipe tobacco in face to face transactions won’t escape, either. This bill, which again one of the most prominent voices in the cigar industry views positively, would also ban flavored tobacco. Last time I smoked it, Carter Hall sure was flavored.

But in the old pre internet days, we managed to find each other through samizdat means, like The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, and I imagine we can again. What really ticks me off more than anything is that at least one portion of the industry, of which your local B&M is most likely a member, supports these divide and conquer tactics. They might well survive if the JR’s of the world close up. But for how long? IMO, not for very long.

Again, IMO, I don’t think this legislation will be enacted this year, though stranger things have happened. But one way to help keep it from re-emerging is to make sure that the Newman’s of the world and their allies pay a price for their support, and that is something that can be done now.

The Newmans and their allies have, very, very mistakenly, IMO, drunk poison Kool Aid. No one in the tobacco industry who supports this legislation to any degree, as Newman does, along with the remaining members of the now split and diminished Premium Cigar Association, will get any patronage from me. Kretek, which is the parent company of Phillips and King which distributes Samuel Gawith, Gawith Hoggarth and 4th Generation pipe tobacco, has seen this movie before.

I would strongly encourage you to read the whole thing

I do have more than enough tobacco in my cellar to last many times any reasonable or unreasonable estimates of my remaining life span. But the nearest B&M to me is over 15 miles away, and their handicapped parking (no fault of the owner, who is a good enough guy, and who has more space devoted to pipes and tobacco than he probably should) is a total joke. On line sales are the only feasible means for me to try anything new, which happens every now and then, but I can live without trying Sambuca Barrel Aged whatever.

The impact on all “hobby” characteristics of pipe smoking will be enormous if an internet sales ban passes. And the vast majority of pipe smokers who buy pipe tobacco in face to face transactions won’t escape, either. This bill, which again one of the most prominent voices in the cigar industry views positively, would also ban flavored tobacco. Last time I smoked it, Carter Hall sure was flavored.

But in the old pre internet days, we managed to find each other through samizdat means, like The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, and I imagine we can again. What really ticks me off more than anything is that at least one portion of the industry, of which your local B&M is most likely a member, supports these divide and conquer tactics. They might well survive if the JR’s of the world close up. But for how long? IMO, not for very long.

Again, IMO, I don’t think this legislation will be enacted this year, though stranger things have happened. But one way to help keep it from re-emerging is to make sure that the Newman’s of the world and their allies pay a price for their support, and that is something that can be done now.

We are in agreement on all counts. No argument here and I will not buy anything these Yahoos have anything to do with either.

I WILL though, continue to support my local B&M in case we end up seeing a moment of insanity and this thing someday passes (in one form or another, I believe it will). I just don't see it as my local tobacconist's fault so I choose not to punish them for trying to make a living.

As a comparison, my local grocery store sells items that I would never buy because of my stance on things personal to me and irrelevant to the conversation but I will buy those items they stock that don't offend me. I am a bit rotund but I still gotta eat :).

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The meat from the above link:
“Our Canadian subsidiary operated under this exact pretense,” says Cassar. “And the results were devastating. Driven primarily through big tobacco’s efforts, the market went dark, cigar stores lost their ability to have smoking lounges, stores could no longer advertise products, and in the end the market went to plain packaging across all categories. Small, independent family businesses in this environment had taken the approach that it was better to give up an arm to save the body. But in the end the regulators took both the arms, the legs, and whatever else they could find. And we’re just not willing to go down that road- especially when we know the outcome.”
For these reasons Kretek has decided not to support the new direction taken by the PCA. As a company, they wish success for the PCA and its membership. However, based on their direct experience with regulation in other parts of the world, they feel that the PCA’s desired outcome will not come to fruition. From observation and history, Kretek believes that standing united against any and all further regulation is the best chance the industry has for survival. Regulation is a game of inches, and the more we are willing to give up as an industry, the sooner those inches become miles.”
As our brothers from the north can confirm nothing has gotten better over the year!
Thanks! Oldgeezersmoker for the link:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual
Oct 7, 2016
I wouldn't go spending any big money on high priced pipes unless you're looking to own a $1500 doorstop in a few years.
Nah. High end pipes traded for very decent $ pre internet, they will continue to do so. When I decided to get out of most of my high end Charatans, Supreme and up, I probably sold half to Germany, 25% to Japan, and the rest to domestic collectors. Took a few months, like 3 or 4, instead of 3 or 4 days. If memory serves, all there was then was a Compuserve Interest Group, and I didn’t even bother trying that route. Guys were more into Kirsten’s.

One of the Radice brothers told a mutual friend that China was now their biggest market. I wouldn’t doubt the same being true for Castello or Dunhill. The Chinese guys who show up at shows with suitcases of cash will find ways to get the cash to makers even if they can’t make this years Chicago tent extravaganza. I generally hate change in anything that is important to me, and pioe smoking has been a wonderful little hobby, but I got into it pre internet, and I expect it to survive.

Oct 7, 2016
I WILL though, continue to support my local B&M in case we end up seeing a moment of insanity and this thing someday passes (in one form or another, I believe it will). I just don't see it as my local tobacconist's fault so I choose not to punish them for trying to make a living.
A retailer who is still in business but whose shop is outside the feasible range for me to travel to, Ira Lapides of the Gatlinburlier, saw back in the 1980’s that the predecessor of the PCA, the RTDA, was failing to speak up for pipe tobacco. He was vocal about it and was to some extent ostracized. If your local is a PCA member or goes to their trade show, it really is their fault. And if they continue to stock Newman distributed brands, well, as I said, f**k ‘em.

Oct 7, 2016
Part of me wants to be pre internet again.
That actually would suit me fine. I expect I might even try to find a kind soul who would help me with travel so I could attend some shows, which would become, like say the old Indiana Briar Friars events, much more casual and less commercial, events. God, I enjoyed those days Dinner at St. Elmo’s, room trading, grab a table, leave stuff out on it while you saw what everybody else brought.....

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
That actually would suit me fine. I expect I might even try to find a kind soul who would help me with travel so I could attend some shows, which would become, like say the old Indiana Briar Friars events, much more casual and less commercial, events. God, I enjoyed those days Dinner at St. Elmo’s, room trading, grab a table, leave stuff out on it while you saw what everybody else brought.....
I am in Idaho, but have never been to Indiana, so if you would show me the ropes I would be up for it:)

Reactions: BROBS

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Yeah, this bill would do in the cigar business about as much as pipe tobacco as there are few folks out there willing and able to routinely spend $12 and up for a cigar. So, that exception would not be of great help. Though Pres. Trump's apparent intent to veto if passed in this form suggests it's not likely to be voted on in the Senate in this form.

Reactions: jeff540 and BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
I am in Idaho, but have never been to Indiana, so if you would show me the ropes I would be up for it:)
I drove from Tennessee, Georgia and Florida as I moved around in the 1980’s and early 1990’s. Hell, there weren’t any ropes, you just showed up and had a good time. At least as I recall the early years, I think the charge for a table was “suggested.”

Reactions: Bengel

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nah. High end pipes traded for very decent $ pre internet, they will continue to do so. When I decided to get out of most of my high end Charatans, Supreme and up, I probably sold half to Germany, 25% to Japan, and the rest to domestic collectors. Took a few months, like 3 or 4, instead of 3 or 4 days. If memory serves, all there was then was a Compuserve Interest Group, and I didn’t even bother trying that route. Guys were more into Kirsten’s.

One of the Radice brothers told a mutual friend that China was now their biggest market. I wouldn’t doubt the same being true for Castello or Dunhill. The Chinese guys who show up at shows with suitcases of cash will find ways to get the cash to makers even if they can’t make this years Chicago tent extravaganza. I generally hate change in anything that is important to me, and pioe smoking has been a wonderful little hobby, but I got into it pre internet, and I expect it to survive.
I think the world has changed a little since 1972, even 2002. Restrictions worldwide are growing and tariffs are increasing while the population of smokers is shrinking. At some point, even China will start totalling the cost and begin the process of discouraging tobacco use, not for humanitarian concerns, but because of monetary cost.

Reactions: BROBS

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Well, I learned from a forum member (Thanks Jesse) . that our local B&Ms want our business. Go in and meet them. Ask them to order you what you want. I was delightfully surprised they were more than willing to try and get what I wanted as long as it was within their power.

Currently, it's difficult for the small B&Ms to get the "good stuff" because of the commitments they have to make with the distributors regarding quantity and frequency. I firmly believe this will change or maybe the SP.Coms of the world will become the suppliers of smaller quantities (at higher prices) to the smaller B&Ms and drop the minimum commitments.

Everyone wants to stay in business so they will work it out, for sure. Free Enterprise is alive and well for now. Just need to work on new vehicles to drive it...

Another sure thing is Pipe tobacco will never be cheaper than it is right now.

Just saying.... puffy
A well thought out post. Thanks. It makes me what to drive down to Squires Cigar shop and chill with the Cigar guys for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.