PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Monty1

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Portreath, Cornwall, England
Title edited for caps. See Rule 9.

I've only been smoking a pipe for a short while, but I'm loving it. I'm finding I'm getting through anything upto 10 bowls a day. Is this excessive? Also I'm loving the American Blends, particularly American Delit. Not ventured into aromatics, still very green to this pass time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brian64 and Lucro

KS Pipes

Might Stick Around
Apr 29, 2024
Smoke as many as you want. I'm fairly new myself and I smoke about 3 to 4 a day.

A lot of that also depends on bowl size and all that. My bowls last me an hour and a half and I just don't have time for any more than that.

Reactions: Monty1

KS Pipes

Might Stick Around
Apr 29, 2024
I'm thinking I need to slow my smoke down. Around 45 minutes a bowl for me.

For me, that was/is the hardest part, but is one of the things I enjoy the most about smoking a pipe.

I'm pretty driven, and slowing down to smoke a bowl and not just burning through bowls, was pretty tough at the start. But, once I did, it changed a lot of things for me. Not only with my smoking experience, but just life in general. I look forward to my bowls and just sitting in peace.

I still catch myself smoking too fast sometimes.

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
I've only been smoking a pipe for a short while, but I'm loving it. I'm finding I'm getting through anything upto 10 bowls a day. Is this excessive? Also I'm loving the American Blends, particularly American Delit. Not ventured into aromatics, still very green to this pass time.
Remember it’s not a race. If smoking that many bowls interferes with any of your responsibilities, or I’ve got to have so many bowls to make it through the day, then maybe it might be too much. I don’t believe pipe smoking is very addictive, but it is very enjoyable.

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
I’m about a month in. I get through 3-4 on weekends. I’m lucky to get a half on weeknights, but I’m usually away from home 13-16hrs. Not much time for piping weekdays. Do what makes you happy. Seems like piping is about relaxing, enjoying the nuances of the bowl, and doing what makes you happy.
I have about the same schedule as you. I only get to smoke on the weekends. 1 to 2 if I’m lucky. Busy, busy, but the pipe is enjoyable.

Reactions: KS Pipes and Lucro

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I usually only smoke two bowls a day.
But I do not smoke in the house or vehicles, annnnd, im kinda busy around the farm. I do not have a favorite size or shape of pipe, or tobacco genre, so a pipe lasts me between 30 and 120 minutes.
But many people enjoy having a pipe in their mouth except in the shower or bed. There is NOT to much, just make sure you are enjoying it and not just going through the motions.....or do that, I don't care! :)

dottlejockey

Can't Leave
I don't see anything excessive about that. My doctor might not agree with me on this one. :)
When i'm busy i might get 3-4 bowls in, but if it's a day i'm home messing around on the property or exploring new blends it can easily be 10-12 bowls a day. So it just depends. Nothing to be alarmed about. Enjoy your pipes (and the rest of your life) the way you see fit. puffy

• Love
Reactions: newbroom and Monty1

Monty1

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Portreath, Cornwall, England
I don't see anything excessive about that. My doctor might not agree with me on this one. :)
When i'm busy i might get 3-4 bowls in, but if it's a day i'm home messing around on the property or exploring new blends it can easily be 10-12 bowls a day. So it just depends. Nothing to be alarmed about. Enjoy your pipes (and the rest of your life) the way you see fit. puffy
Cheers dottlejockey. I'm retired, so I have too much time on my hands, most days are a chillout day, and even more so with my pipe puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m about a month in. I get through 3-4 on weekends. I’m lucky to get a half on weeknights, but I’m usually away from home 13-16hrs. Not much time for piping weekdays. Do what makes you happy. Seems like piping is about relaxing, enjoying the nuances of the bowl, and doing what makes you happy.
that's about it.
To the Original post. I find that a bit excessive however I use smokeless too. I find that I enjoy the pipes more if it's something I don't over do. If your only tobacco though is a pipe that's actually a pretty moderate amount of smokes.

Reactions: Lucro and Uguccione

dottlejockey

Can't Leave
A quick note on cadence. "Slow down" seems to be the common pipe mantra and probably is good advice for many starting out. However, i'd simply give 3 rules of thumb on this issue:
If you don't need oven mits to hold your pipe, your tongue isn't on fire and your tobacco is tasting good, then you've got the cadence issue dialed in, IMO. If any of these are an issue, then i'd refer to the common mantra. puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Title edited for caps. See Rule 9.

You're off to a good start. Now if you cut your sleeping time and the time between bowls in half you'll be venturing into @Chasing Embers territory.