PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Hey everyone. I’m new to pipe smoking (5 bowls to date). I do not smoke often, only once every two weeks, but I do love it. Like some others, reading LOTR got me intrigued. My first pipe is an artisan pipe that I got at an quite affordable price, $80 if I convert from my country’s currency. image.jpgI’m glad I got a good quality pipe as my first one.

I do have a question regarding tobacco. I like most new pipe smokers started with aros, Peterson CC and Sweet Killarney. I liked both but would like to try non-aros. In my country we don’t have a lot of imported options, mostly only european brands. I was thinking of getting Early Morning Pipe, 965 or University Flake next. Of those three which would you recommend?

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Welcome!

Wow that's a pretty nice pipe for $80. Who's the carver?

I'd recommend 965 too; it's a great blend.
Thank you! Ebenhart, he’s the first South African artisan pipe maker. He’s been making pipes for almost 30 years. He’s got quite a interesting story in becoming a pipe maker. In short he got his training from the first pipe maker in South Africa who was a German and this man decided only to ever teach one person and asked Ebenhart to di the same. Here is one of his artistic pipesIMG_1450.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you! Ebenhart, he’s the first South African artisan pipe maker. He’s been making pipes for almost 30 years. He’s got quite a interesting story in becoming a pipe maker. In short he got his training from the first pipe maker in South Africa who was a German and this man decided only to ever teach one person and asked Ebenhart to di the same. Here is one of his artistic pipesView attachment 306877
Very cool! Checking out his site now.

Reactions: BriaRanger

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
For the sake of your happiness at home I cannot answer that. 😂 Match 20 is rated at tobaccoreviews.com as pleasant to tolerable.
So quite a gamble😂. That doesn’t change whether I will smoke it, it only indicates where so I will give it a try. Some say EMP is one of the best beginner english blends, however I’ve also read others say 965 is even better. Would you agree that 965 is good for beginner smokers? I reckon you do as you recommended it, just want to make sure

Reactions: 1stPersonSmoker