Ogden's Nut Gone Flake.... Psychedelic?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I was doing printmaking demonstrations at a local outdoor art festival. and I was noticing all of the cool t-shirts the kids were wearing. Then I noticed one that was an old pipe tobacco tin, Ogdens Nut Gone Flake. I knew nothing of this tobacco, so I asked the kid. He didn't know much about it either, just thought it was a cool shirt. When I had a chance to take a break, I googled it, and found out that it was an old discontinued pipe tobacco from England (or Uk or whatever... I am always confused by what to call that island) But, it was also a novel album cover for an obscure psychedelic band called Small Faces.
1714566433526.png
I have Apple unlimited access to all of their music library, so I listened to it. very... meh...

But, in Wikipedia, I found out that the album was released with a very large tin in 1968.
1714566557280.png

The original release never gained any popularity, mainly because the round tin it was in kept rolling off the shelves in record stores, ha ha. But, it also came with four round posters. The band tried a second release of the album with a more traditional album cover, but the music just didn't have any sparkle to gain listeners attention. It did have some odd bits of discussion between the songs, I presume it was humorous, but with English humor... it is hard to tell if it is funny or not. puffy

But, the album is getting a resurgence with t-shirts. Since I googled the album, my feed in Facebook and Instagram is fraught with ads for the t-shirts. I've seen 2 more on people since, in the crowds that proceeded the show at the restaurants. It's a very neat design, and it's also neat that people are wearing a tin of a discontinued pipe tobacco. I know guys on here really dig the tin art on many blends. The old War Horse comes to mind or Van Bibber, or even just a Prince Albert shirt.

What do you think? What tin would you wear as a shirt?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I wouldn't say the Small Faces were obscure- they had hits. Stevie Marriott is in my opinion the finest and most soulful white blues/rock vocalist of his era, see- Humble Pie.
This record has been mentioned here on the forum at least a handful of times in the last year.
Pay attention!

:sher:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Britain is quite acceptable these days, or GREAT Britain to you ;).

There was once a member here (who's name shall not be spoken) that had his favourite tobacco logo tattooed on his arm......Royal Yacht I think it was :rolleyes:

Jay.
How about Britannia, can I use today it or is it outdated?Here in Finland when speaker refers to England ,often time they may use this very term.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
The tobacco referenced is Ogden's Nut Brown Flake - "Nut Gone" meant that they were stoned off their heads most of the time.

Small Faces were one of those epic bands of the 1960s, one that I still listen to, from time to time. That decade was my childhood, pretty much. Awesome soundtrack.

Previous discussions that I missed...

I find it funny that two of the posts were started by the same person, ha ha.

I never wear t-shirts but an exception could be made for:

View attachment 307107
Will It Cringe GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Will It Cringe GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Gifs Are Cringe GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Awkward Cringe GIF by Bounce

Danny Devito No GIF by reactionseditor

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I wouldn't say the Small Faces were obscure- they had hits. Stevie Marriott is in my opinion the finest and most soulful white blues/rock vocalist of his era, see- Humble Pie.
This record has been mentioned here on the forum at least a handful of times in the last year.
Pay attention!

:sher:
Couldn't agree more! The Small Faces were pretty big over here, still pretty well known. After Steve Marriott left they became 'The Faces' with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood (who were not small - hence the name change).

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Couldn't agree more! The Small Faces were pretty big over here, still pretty well known. After Steve Marriott left they became 'The Faces' with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood (who were not small - hence the name change).
Shame about Stevie - smoking literally killed him.