PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wouldn't say the Small Faces were obscure- they had hits. Stevie Marriott is in my opinion the finest and most soulful white blues/rock vocalist of his era, see- Humble Pie.
This record has been mentioned here on the forum at least a handful of times in the last year.
Pay attention!

:sher:
I also don't really consider them psychedelic and much more a sub genre of Pop.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I wouldn't say the Small Faces were obscure- they had hits. Stevie Marriott is in my opinion the finest and most soulful white blues/rock vocalist of his era, see- Humble Pie.
This record has been mentioned here on the forum at least a handful of times in the last year.
Pay attention!

:sher:
Here is a good example. Steve Marriott with Humble Pie.

I also don't really consider them psychedelic and much more a sub genre of Pop.
Psychedelic has changed meanings over the years. I concidered Pink Floyd and their surreal lyrics and drippy sounds to be psychedelic. Then a friend made an argument for the Grateful Dead being Psychedelic, but to me, it just sounds like bad form, bad timing, and off key singing, with lyrics that just don't make any sense to me.
Then recently someone tried to turn me on to Tame Impala, telling me that they were psychedelic, but they just sounded "soft" as a loss for a better word. Like you are meant to wrap yourself up in cotton and bubble wrap to listen to it.
As someone who has never tried LSD, I am not quite sure which bands are truly psychedelic. I think of trippy as the way the word surreal is used in art... but I can't be sure exactly whether that is true or not. I can better relate to surreal than trippy.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Psychedelic has changed meanings over the years. I concidered Pink Floyd and their surreal lyrics and drippy sounds to be psychedelic. Then a friend made an argument for the Grateful Dead being Psychedelic, but to me, it just sounds like bad form, bad timing, and off key singing, with lyrics that just don't make any sense to me.
Then recently someone tried to turn me on to Tame Impala, telling me that they were psychedelic, but they just sounded "soft" as a loss for a better word. Like you are meant to wrap yourself up in cotton and bubble wrap to listen to it.
As someone who has never tried LSD, I am not quite sure which bands are truly psychedelic. I think of trippy as the way the word surreal is used in art... but I can't be sure exactly whether that is true or not. I can better relate to surreal than trippy.
@anotherbob don't forget to reply to this ;)

You only need to take it once....................
I had a conversation with a couple of guys in college who were on it, and decided that it just wasn’t for me. I’m creative with a wonderful imagination, pretty intelligent, with good impulse control. Guys who we’re getting high and taking things like that just never seemed to pull themselves up. I also am not really a drinker.

I’m not bragging, just never felt a need to alter my reality like that. I’ve done well for myself. If drugs like that get you where you want, then fine. I just don’t want to go where they seem to be wallowing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
the fun thing is the definition of psychedelic music is pretty much music that sounds like people on drugs would like it. Or basically anything from traditional music with a kick of reverb all the way down to noise sculptures (this song is ten tamborines a blue tooth mic thrown in a dryer with a lb of ball bearings. :)

Reactions: PeriqueMyInterest

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Speaking of Humble Pie, I saw them live in August of 1972 in a giant art deco auditorium in Kansas City.

The opening band? Ramatam. A group that Jimi Hendrix's drummer Mitch Mitchell started after Jimi died. (It was a flop, but famous in rock history circles for having a female lead singer---April Lawton---who actually, well, wasn't. lol Otherwise known as drag queen story hour through 100K watts of amplification.)

What made the show special, though, was the "extra" band that played before Ramatam. (Different bands were given the spot at different shows as the tour crossed the country. Their names weren't on the posters, and they barely got paid. They did it for publicty.)

THAT little band was playing for the first time away from their home turf.

Only one of 'em had a beard yet.

The guitar player wore an enormous hat and outrageously blinged leather jacket with "TEXAS" across the back, the bass player looked like a serial killer who'd turned his lust to music, and the drummer locked 'em both in like a freight train.

Absolutely burned the house down. I'm surprised Humble Pie didn't quit and go home.

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 3.53.45 PM.png

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have several covers of old cigars that would make great t-shirts including White Cat, La Flor de Lincoln, OpusX, Simon Bolivar, Sancho Panza, Punch, Vega Robaina, etc. I have more of these, but I don't feel like getting them out.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore