PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Shouldn't that be "the once great Britain" ;)
Sorry for the jibe.

Growing up in M'sia, I'm grateful to the Brits for their education and health systems. Along with their bureaucracy, law and justice.

Rampant corruption abounds now that the colonial "masters" have upped and left
Rampant corruption, stupidity and detachment from reality seem to rule the day in Blighty too. "Once-Great" is exactly that, sorry to say.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Did they smoke pipes? I just had never heard of the band. I just recently started listening to Donavan.
Not surprised you’ve never heard of them. One of the most underrated & overlooked bands of the 60’s. Surprised you’re into Donovan though, I had you down as more of a Barry Manilow / Michael Bolton kinda guy.

As to T-shirts, there used to be excellent ‘retro’ St. Bruno ones about. I had two of them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Speaking of Humble Pie, I saw them live in August of 1972 in a giant art deco auditorium in Kansas City.

The opening band? Ramatam. A group that Jimi Hendrix's drummer Mitch Mitchell started after Jimi died. (It was a flop, but famous in rock history circles for having a female lead singer---April Lawton---who actually, well, wasn't. lol Otherwise known as drag queen story hour through 100K watts of amplification.)

What made the show special, though, was the "extra" band that played before Ramatam. (Different bands were given the spot at different shows as the tour crossed the country. Their names weren't on the posters, and they barely got paid. They did it for publicty.)

THAT little band was playing for the first time away from their home turf.

Only one of 'em had a beard yet.

The guitar player wore an enormous hat and outrageously blinged leather jacket with "TEXAS" across the back, the bass player looked like a serial killer who'd turned his lust to music, and the drummer locked 'em both in like a freight train.

Absolutely burned the house down. I'm surprised Humble Pie didn't quit and go home.

View attachment 307150
I love all the 70s rock show stories about the openers cooking the headliner. I'm not surprised at all.
Similar to a 14 seed beating a 3 seed in the NCAAs.

My buddy Lou (a biiiig Humble Pie fan) always said that here in Louisville he saw Steve Miller absolutely kill the audience before the headliner, Kiss. Said half the crowd left after the Silver Bullet Band- I don't blame them.

he saw Steve Miller absolutely kill the audience before the headliner, Kiss.
That probably wasn't very hard for them. I've seen Blue Oyster Cult smoke them on Kiss's Asylum tour, and BOC isn't exactly known for being high energy. Kiss is just a 50's rock and roll band in drag. I think most of us went just to see BOC anyways.

But that's not the Muscle Shoals studio where the Stones recorded, is it? That's the one before they made like a banana and split?
There a few studios in Muscle Shoals. The town practically has no other industry but music. Music and poverty. The list of musicians who've recorded at Fame are a mile long. The buildings aren't as important as the music producers and studio musicians. Almost everyone you can think of has been in that building. Aretha Franklin, Sting, Sonny and Cher, Elvis, Stones, Allman Bros, on and on and on...