PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Over the past few years I've grown to really love podcasts. It's actually pretty amazing what's out there to enjoy and get lost in, and the fact that it's free makes it even more mind-blowing. I used to enjoy radio shows in the 80s and 90s, and when a topic of interest came up it was always very exciting. Nowadays, you can tune in to ONLY topics that interest you via podcast.

It would be fun to see what you are listening to. Here is my list:

1 - JOCKO PODCAST
Retired Navy SEAL and overall badass/cool dude Jocko Willink. Long-form podcast that deals with leadership, war, evil, and personal growth. I've learned a lot from this guy. Highly recommended.

2 - IT'S GOOD TO BE A MAN
Michael Foster, young-ish Reformed Ohio pastor. I'm just getting into this one and binging on old episodes. Looks like it might've ended last summer. Lots of great common sense content for Christian men.

3 - THE FAMILYMAN WITH TODD WILSON
Dad-related, mostly light-hearted. I've been listening to this show for over ten years.

4 - SOCRATES IN THE CITY
Eric Metaxas hosts interviews with writers/thinkers. Mostly cultural and historical analysis from a Christian perspective. Lots of smart folks featured. I just try to keep up.

5 - THE ART OF MANLINESS
Brett McKay hosts. Young-ish, great guy. Tons of helpful and practical topics. I don't listen to all of what he drops but some of it I find extremely valuable.

6 - COWBOY CROSSROADS
Hosted by cowboy songster Andy Hedges, a really great guy. "My heroes have always been cowboys." Enough said. This is an excellent podcast that showcases a much different way of life than most Americans know or have known. Features cowboy poets, cowboy singers, ranchers, writers, photographers, etc. It's been going for a good while. Great binge material here. Recommended.

7 - HAIR METAL MEMORIES
Really fun show if you are into 80s rock.

8 - PRAYING IN THE RAIN
Hosted by Fr Michael Gillis, a Canadian Orthodox priest. This man has helped me through some stuff via his wisdom. He doesn't upload often. Recommended.

There are a few more podcasts I dabble in, but these are the ones I really enjoy.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I'm not 100% sure what a podcast is. I know its on the internet and involves people talking. Not sure I've ever listened to one.

I take it youtube is not a podcast?

Gosh, the older I get, the less I seem to care, or be able to keep up with technology. I am turning into my Dad.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas

Don't forget our very own PM Radio Show.​

I mean, this is why we are all here, right?
That’s a great podcast. I listened to over 100 episodes of it, and while it was a lot of fun, I can only listen to so much pipe and tobacco talk.

• Love
Reactions: Zero and ashdigger

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I listen regularly to a number of podcasts while smoking a pipe or working in the woodshop. A hockey one, a history one, a couple of politics, and some NPR shows that I don't get to listen to during the day anymore. Of course, Pipes Magazine.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I'm not 100% sure what a podcast is. I know its on the internet and involves people talking. Not sure I've ever listened to one.

I take it youtube is not a podcast?

Gosh, the older I get, the less I seem to care, or be able to keep up with technology. I am turning into my Dad.
Some podcasts are also loaded up on YouTube. If you have a smart phone, open a podcast app (I use Apple Podcasts) and explore.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For daily news, analysis and commentary you can do no better than the Patrick Henningsen show from 21st Century Wire IMO:

Reactions: Zero

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I listen to Jocko and some random others.

I mainly listen to Non Fiction Audiobooks

Ps, I used to listen to the Pipes Magazine podcast, and greatly enjoyed it, but may I’m not up to the standards of most enthusiasts.

I’m okay with that.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I'm happy if I can find interesting podcasts with knowledgeable people.
Books, history, culture, art, movies, philosophy.
But, I don't want political extremism or conspiracy nuts.
I don't want cannabis or crypto currency promoting and such.

Pipesmagazine is a great podcast.
Sort of a refuge in crazy times.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I used to listen to the Revive Stronger podcast but the hosts have gotten a bit too veggieburger for my tastes so I haven't listened to it for a while.

Table Talk with Dave Tate good, especially when he has Westside Barbell alumni on.

Not really "podcasts," but similar, I watch a lot of YouTube live streams.

Reactions: Zero

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I listen to Jocko and some random others.

I mainly listen to Non Fiction Audiobooks

Ps, I used to listen to the Pipes Magazine podcast, and greatly enjoyed it, but may I’m not up to the standards of most enthusiasts.

I’m okay with that.
I’m the same with pipes and tobacco. I must be a lifelong novice or just not that sophisticated. I have a coupe pipes I enjoy and a couple simple tobaccos. All the nuance and esoteric discussions are lost on me.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’ve been listening to podcasts for 10 years, currently subscribed to around 300. I use Pocket Casts now but I used Overcast for years, I seem to switch back and forth. I listen to all types. I love podcasts and try to promote them whenever possible but some people don’t get it. Free information! I’ve learned a ton listening to podcasts. They are a great resource.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee
Status
Not open for further replies.