PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The first of four box sets documenting the complete recordings of Flatt & Scruggs as a working band, this one detailing the group's first 11 years is generally considered the most essential. I've listed the first verse of the song "My Cabin in Caroline". This CD represent a fairly complete representation of the early work of Flatt & Scruggs and generally considered to contain their best work. This the first album released by the Bear Family and is part of a four CD set that contains most of the work done by the band.

"There’s a cabin in the pines in the hills of Caroline
And a blue-eyed girl is waiting there for me
I’ll be going back someday and for her I’ll never stray
And the cabin in the hills of Caroline"

1948-1959

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I was 10 in 1969, I purchased my very first album, which was Iron Butterfly (In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida). I don't know whatever happened to that album.

Today my wife and I made a first time stop at a little record shop that I never knew existed. For $12 I purchased another Iron Butterfly that's in excellent condition. I also purchased a black t-shirt from this same record shop.

This album brings back great memories of me lying on my bedroom floor as a kid listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

IMG_20240419_164430.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This CD is absolutely priceless to me because the guy on it isn't often referred to in bluegrass despite being absolutely marvelous musician. The CD is "Walking and Talking With My Lord" with Larry Richardson. He was a fabulous banjo player who got religion late in life. It happens.

I couldn't even find the lyrics to any songs of his but I did find this one of "I'm Using My Bible for Road map".

"There'll be no detours in heaven
No rough roads along the way
I'm using my Bible for a road map
My last stop is heaven some sweet day:

Larry Richardson (3) - Walking And Talking With My Lord album cover