PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife is pretty cool about it though she wishes I was still smoking cigars. One in a million!!
My wife suggested I switch from cigars to pipes, I made that move 13 years ago and maybe smoked 4-5 cigars since.
For the OP, I was 50 when I started smoking a pipe regularly. Previously I was only an occasional cigar smoker (as above), so this was a big change for her to absorb. I don't smoke in the house and am considerate of her. I don't like to smell like smoke for intimate moments, but she's worth it. We've been married for 45 years, a streak I like to continue.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well aside from dark fired or latakia heavy blends ;).
That's it, isn't it? Most people who have no idea about pipe smoking think Captain Black IS all there's to pipe tobacco. Then you puff along an English or DFK blend and they retch.

My wife is more or less ok with my pipe smoking, I can't smoke indoors anyway, but draws the line on Toscanos and Warhorse Bar.

Reactions: Carol

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My wife knew I smoked a pipe when we met back in 1975 and she married me anyway. I usually only owned one or two pipes at a time and smoked mainly bulk tobacco.

Then in 1984, she bought me a CAO Meerschaum for Christmas. Four years later we found out our youngest had asthma and allergies, so I stopped smoking my pipe inside and I really cut back to maybe smoking two or three times a month. No complaints from the wife.

When the youngest left for college, I started smoking cigars and my pipe more often. This eventually led to my wife saying "Why don't you smoke your pipe more often than cigars. The pipe doesn't stink." She then started finding pipes at the antique junk shops and asking me if I was interested in them.

This lead her to start buying me new pipes as gifts for birthdays, Father's Day, anniversaries or Christmas. She says its easier for her to just buy me a new pipe than to figure out what else to get me.

Our 49th anniversary is coming up later this year. I think I will keep her.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's it, isn't it? Most people who have no idea about pipe smoking think Captain Black IS all there's to pipe tobacco. Then you puff along an English or DFK blend and they retch.

My wife is more or less ok with my pipe smoking, I can't smoke indoors anyway, but draws the line on Toscanos and Warhorse Bar.
It is funny when I started this job and walked through campus almost everyday, I thought how these days I don't smoke a ton of aromatics so I wondered if the I love the smell of pipe tobacco crowd would still love it without the aros. Well yeah even some of the lighter latakia blends will illicit the I love the smell of pipes. Hell five brothers gets that statement semi regularly. Now Bold Kentucky which is dark fired heavy, gets compliments from BBQ fans and no one else.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
I'm also one of the lucky ones, even though my smoking is limited to the back patio, which is not a problem. She often comments that a particular blend "smells good." We are about to leave for our 6-month trip out in the motorhome (to escape the Houston summer) and she has reminded me to be sure I pack enough tobacco.

Tongue-Fried

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Yeah I get a warm reaction to Virginias. Just a comment like, you smell like cigarettes. Not the visceral reaction of strong Latakia. I said Cigarettes? Not these days. Maybe back in the 70s but now cigs don't have that great of tobacco flavor as a good Virginia as I see it.
My wife says the same!! I respond with “Cigarettes? This is a beautiful Virginia, not a Marlboro Red! You need to take a few puffs and taste the hay and sweetness, babe.” I don’t know how something so sweet and wonderful tasting can “smell like cigarettes”. I just tell her “Oh well, I’m simply not smoking anything else 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: proteus and JOHN72

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Mrs Sobrbiker is supportive, but the only smoking indoors is air fresheners (vapes) that we both use for primary nicotine delivery.
Outdoors, anything goes and in my truck the same. Her car I don’t smoke in.
If I’d smoked a pipe indoors when we met, I’d be doing it now/still.
Things that are added after meeting are joint considerations, things I did before I do at my leisure.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My wife doesn’t mind. She’s one of those weird people who can smoke a few cigarettes if she’s had enough rose, and then won’t have another for months.

If I smoke in the house, I do it in my office where’s there a whole house fan, so lingering odor is never an issue. If I close the door, close the HVAC vent, and crack the window, it’s like nothing happened five minutes after the bowl is done. At this time of year, with windows open most of the time, I don’t even need to bother closing the office door. To be fair to her, however, avoiding tobacco odor in the house generally is as much my choice as hers. For guests who want a cigarette, we have a covered porch or (if it’s really cold) they can stand next to our commercial-power stove vent hood