PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson sold me my permanent St. Patrick's Day pipe years ago, in their Around the World series, the pipe dedicated to Ireland in a red stain with a broad band on the bulldog stem with the Celtic cross. It's a good smoker in March or any time. Recently, a Peterson Christmas 2020 pipe with the copper band was among the top three candidates for a store-credit pipe, along with a Nording Valhalla with a military mount, but both were beat out by a Savinelli Pannocchia KS 606 bent billiard, with corn cob carved rustication, with a bright amber-yellow stem, supposedly MSRP $200, marked down by SP to $120, with $87 off for three pipes I no longer smoked. The Pannocchia is still available, two left, if anyone is interested in taking a look. Go to the search icon and type in Savinelli Pann; that'll do it. This isn't everyone's pick, but I have many black and dark stems, and this was a change.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SP has gone all in with these 2022 Peterson St. Pat's Day pipes, many in stock, in various shapes. I just traded some estates for a Sav after prolonged shopping, so I'm good for now, waiting for my new pipe.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
RE: "thin stems are no no for me"

Just to be clear, guys, these stems are the same size that we use on our other fishtail army mounts. That they're green is the only difference.
They're supposed to be "Special Edition"... i.e., somewhat unique. Using the same stems on 33 flavors and changing the color to green is hardly unique. Some of the shapes are traditionally noted for their "Heft". They look rather anorexic. From a cost/manufacturing perspective, that saves money and there's less items in inventory.

If I'm going to buy a pipe that's a special edition and commemorates something such St. Patrick's Day, I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for something that's going to capture the traditional shape and be unique in other ways, say a sterling band with a design, or some nice ring grain, or a nice crosscut grain (Which is traditional Peterson, IMO), multicolored bands on the end of the stem or something... These just look cheap.

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
Craig61a: Some of your aesthetic points boil down to a question of taste. I won't argue those. De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

But I will clarify a couple of points: all 33 shapes in the series do not use the same stem. The 01 shape in SPD uses a different stem than the 65 in the SPD series, for example. My point was that every shape in the series has the same stem, in terms of proportions, that it has when it appears in other army mount, fishtail series. You can fault us for creativity here if you'd like, but we didn't set out to invent new shapes or new stems. That has nothing at all to do with costs or inventory. We redesign stems with some frequency. It just wasn't what we were trying to do here. Our aim was to present classic Peterson army mounts in a different color palette.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Craig61a: Some of your aesthetic points boil down to a question of taste. I won't argue those. De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

But I will clarify a couple of points: all 33 shapes in the series do not use the same stem. The 01 shape in SPD uses a different stem than the 65 in the SPD series, for example. My point was that every shape in the series has the same stem, in terms of proportions, that it has when it appears in other army mount, fishtail series. You can fault us for creativity here if you'd like, but we didn't set out to invent new shapes or new stems. That has nothing at all to do with costs or inventory. We redesign stems with some frequency. It just wasn't what we were trying to do here. Our aim was to present classic Peterson army mounts in a different color palette.
Don’t worry buddy. Different strokes for different folks. I actually like the look of this years st paddy’s pipe.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

Obviously I wasn't suggesting you used the exact same part # for the stem on all 33 pipes...

"Our aim was to present classic Peterson army mounts in a different color palette."

OK, fair enough. I guess the point I was trying to make was that I think there should be certain distinct design element unique to St. Patrick's Day. OK, everybody, including those who aren't even Irish, dresses in green, drinks green beer, eats corned beef and cabbage on March 17th, I get it. Hence the stem is a shade of green.

What sets this run apart from, say a Valentine's Day pipe, where you'd just sub in a pink stem?

I dunno... Since St. Patrick's Day is a traditional Irish "Holiday", maybe resurrect a few (decades) old shapes, add some unique mountings and iconography that hearkens back to the brand's Irish heritage... The Rua and Ragaire were certainly unique in their own respects.

The green stain on the stummels, while commercializing on the "green" theme of St. Patrick's Day, and being very recognizable, didn't really pan out as the stain discolored, and the pipe was only a St. Patrick's Day pipe for a few dozen smokes. Kind of a shame really, because I liked the look of those emerald green 2017 SPD pipes.