PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it safe to say that pipe colors in 2 stages-in the first it colors outside in by the waxes reaction with heat and in the second stage inside out by the tobacco fluids?
Exactly.

fluids?Saying that second stage starting about after a year or more of smoking?
More number of smokes than time. I put 500 smokes through my test subject before even a hint of real color started.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Is it safe to say that pipe colors in 2 stages-in the first it colors outside in by the waxes reaction with heat and in the second stage inside out by the tobacco fluids?Saying that second stage starting about after a year or more of smoking?
There is still the question of why the initial coloring always seems to be concentrated only in the shank if it's just from heat...why not the bowl?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
There is still the question of why the initial coloring always seems to be concentrated only in the shank if it's just from heat...why not the bowl?
Possibly due to the bottle neck effect of the smoke entering the tenon from the airway.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Possibly due to the bottle neck effect of the smoke entering the tenon from the airway.
I thought of that, but it doesn't seem to really explain it because the bowl can get quite hot but typically gets little to no initial coloring.

Given how porous meerschaum is, couldn't it simply be due to moisture seeping all the way through and accumulating in the lowest point?

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I thought of that, but it doesn't seem to really explain it because the bowl can get quite hot but typically gets little to no initial coloring.

Given how porous meerschaum is, couldn't it simply be due to moisture seeping all the way through and accumulating in the lowest point?
i think that coloring does not like the heat...if u use them coloring extensions the most heat is in them and smoke goes down through your pipe and colors it...Likely the smoke is mostly coloring your pipe where the lower temperature is

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Could it be that heat drives out coloring
I don't think that's true because you do typically see coloring around the rim from lighting.

If the coloring has anything to do with the smoke, then it's going from the inside out. If it's just heat, then I'm not seeing any convincing reason why it wouldn't color on the bowl just as easily as the shank.

At this point it seems more likely to me that the coloring is the result of steam containing tobacco particles accumulating in the lowest point. The reason we don't see coloring on the interior where the pipes were cut might be because it seeps all the way through and just doesn't remain in that layer?

EDIT: I really don't know and find it interesting that this is not a known, settled issue...and it could be Embers is correct...but ? The rim coloring I mentioned does seem to validate the idea that heat alone is enough, but then the bowl question remains. The continual pattern of the shank coloring is what makes me lean toward it coming from the inside out.

Last edited:

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I don't think that's true because you do typically see coloring around the rim from lighting.

If the coloring has anything to do with the smoke, then it's going from the inside out. If it's just heat, then I'm not seeing any convincing reason why it wouldn't color on the bowl just as easily as the shank.

At this point it seems more likely to me that the coloring is the result of steam containing tobacco particles accumulating in the lowest point. The reason we don't see coloring on the interior where the pipes were cut might be because it seeps all the way through and just doesn't remain in that layer?

EDIT: I really don't know and find it interesting that this is not a known, settled issue...and it could be Embers is correct...but ? The rim coloring I mentioned does seem to validate the idea that heat alone is enough, but then the bowl question remains. The continual pattern of the shank coloring is what makes me lean toward it coming from the inside out.
I think that rim coloring is a result from the direct charring from the match...The other day my match slipped and i touched the outside of the bowl about 1/4 inch bellow the rim and it colored it..Also top of the rim is lower temperature than inside of the bowl where tobacco is burning

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Cutting CHambers since you are a scientist (or Edison) of meerschaum pipes did you ever tried filling the bowl still warm after emptying it with fresh tobacco and leave it in a pipe overnight?so cooler temp will maybe color it faster?Or maybe even pour some whiskey on the tobacco when bowl is still a little warm and filled with new tobacco and leave overnight?It may color it faster I think...I do not have disposable pipes to try it...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Cutting CHambers since you are a scientist (or Edison) of meerschaum pipes did you ever tried filling the bowl still warm after emptying it with fresh tobacco and leave it in a pipe overnight?so cooler temp will maybe color it faster?Or maybe even pour some whiskey on the tobacco when bowl is still a little warm and filled with new tobacco and leave overnight?It may color it faster I think...I do not have disposable pipes to try it...
I often put off cleaning meerschaums until they are ready to smoke again but more often go back to back to back fills immediately after smoking. Rarely when awake do I not have a lit pipe and most of the time it's the same one.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman