PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I like the way they both turned out.
Did you look into the paints heat tolerance ranges? I’m interested to know if the paint and other media applied will tolerate the heat produced by smoking?

Lianza

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2021
Wilberforce, Ontario
I like the way they both turned out.
Did you look into the paints heat tolerance ranges? I’m interested to know if the paint and other media applied will tolerate the heat produced by smoking?
I did not.

I was under the impression that the outside of the bowl would never get hot enough to be a concern for the paint.

I could be wrong.

I’ve been smoking the red one all day yesterday and today… so far it hasn’t gotten hotter than normal imo, no bubbling, no ‘effect’ to the paint job yet.

But I want to smoke it a lot more (100+ bowl’s) before I decide to paint another one.

Had a question for y’all, do you think the shape of the red one is an apple? Or a pot?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I did not.

I was under the impression that the outside of the bowl would never get hot enough to be a concern for the paint.

I could be wrong.

I’ve been smoking the red one all day yesterday and today… so far it hasn’t gotten hotter than normal imo, no bubbling, no ‘effect’ to the paint job yet.

But I want to smoke it a lot more (100+ bowl’s) before I decide to paint another one.

Had a question for y’all, do you think the shape of the red one is an apple? Or a pot?
My assessment, it’s an apple shaped pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think they are beautiful pipes, but I wonder how hot they will get since the briar will not be able to breathe. The pipe is now almost like Brylon. If they stay cool, and the paint doesn't bubble, you have made a great product.
Briar doesn't breathe enough to make a noticeable difference in how hot the stummel becomes.

If the paint doesn't bubble, etc. you'll have a nice pipe.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I think they are beautiful pipes, but I wonder how hot they will get since the briar will not be able to breathe. The pipe is now almost like Brylon. If they stay cool, and the paint doesn't bubble, you have made a great product.
Sorry to mention that briar does not “breath”, that’s an old pipe myth. Briar is a very dense wood, comparable to oak or beechwood, with no airflow between the cells at all.

But maybe the paint does not comply to different hot/ cold conditions and might crack. Even lacquer on some old pipes cracks, more so when applied in thick layers.

Nevertheless I love the approach and style of Lianca pipe painting.

Reactions: addamsruspipe

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I did not.

I could be wrong.

Maybe the bubble thing appears in the long run. They used nitrocellulose lacquer for pipes to give it a shine. That kind of lacquer looses its flexibility and adhesive characteristics over time.

But I don’t know anything about water based acrylic paint in that respect.