PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Oh and here's another that came today. Falcon standard curved stem with meerschaum lined billiard bowl. Dental bit as well. View attachment 309512
Where are you getting new Falcon stems and bowls? I wanted to get some new ones to gift, but after several years of not looking for them, they seem to be in very short supply. The Falcon-branded meerschaum and meerschaum-lined bowls were nowhere available.

Reactions: FalconForever

FalconForever

Might Stick Around
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
Where are you getting new Falcon stems and bowls? I wanted to get some new ones to gift, but after several years of not looking for them, they seem to be in very short supply. The Falcon-branded meerschaum and meerschaum-lined bowls were nowhere available.
Hi. My usual shop is Smoke King but like everywhere they don't carry the whole range at any one time. Another good supplier who have a good range of stems is My Smoking Shop. If you Google Falcon Pipes you'll see other suppliers and it's a case of trawling through to see what's in stock.

With regards meerschaum lined bowls, apparently there is a shortage of meerschaum at present and it's a case of whatever stock is left. I found the pipe I showed here on eBay so got lucky. Lot of shops selling older unsold stock on eBay so that's worth a check.

My Smoking Shop also do a unique range of hand carved meerschaum bowls to fit the Falcon range from a supplier in Turkey. Of course the shops mentioned are UK based and if you're anywhere else you'd have to enquire about shipping etc.

Hope that helps and you get lucky in your search!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Hi. My usual shop is Smoke King but like everywhere they don't carry the whole range at any one time. Another good supplier who have a good range of stems is My Smoking Shop. If you Google Falcon Pipes you'll see other suppliers and it's a case of trawling through to see what's in stock.

With regards meerschaum lined bowls, apparently there is a shortage of meerschaum at present and it's a case of whatever stock is left. I found the pipe I showed here on eBay so got lucky. Lot of shops selling older unsold stock on eBay so that's worth a check.

My Smoking Shop also do a unique range of hand carved meerschaum bowls to fit the Falcon range from a supplier in Turkey. Of course the shops mentioned are UK based and if you're anywhere else you'd have to enquire about shipping etc.

Hope that helps and you get lucky in your search!
Good morning, FalconForever! I will check a wider range of UK shops. GQ has some stock, but I will widen my search. Thanks for the tip! I was afraid you might report that Falcon shuttered.

Reactions: FalconForever

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know people who love these pipes. Without denigrating anyones personal tastes I have just never understood the appeal of smoking a pipe made out of a length of break fluid piping, recycled Colt 45 Malt liquor cans and a drilled out wooden door knob. I think I own one that belonged to my late Father probably from the early 1970s which was used for smoking other 'things' when I was at university. When used for smoking other 'things' it excelled and certainly beat the pants of the old 'Octo-Bong' for delivering a cool and bite free mind expanding smoke!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I know people who love these pipes. Without denigrating anyones personal tastes I have just never understood the appeal of smoking a pipe made out of a length of break fluid piping, recycled Colt 45 Malt liquor cans and a drilled out wooden door knob. I think I own one that belonged to my late Father probably from the early 1970s which was used for smoking other 'things' when I was at university. When used for smoking other 'things' it excelled and certainly beat the pants of the old 'Octo-Bong' for delivering a cool and bite free mind expanding smoke!
Old pal, I often repeat your pronouncement on Falcons when smoking my own in mixed company. Your comment now has new relevance. Since Missouri has gone all-in on that other leaf, I am warier of smoking my Falcon in places where it might get me mistaken for a partaker.

• Love
Reactions: condorlover1

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
People seem to have a love/hate thing with Falcons. They seem to perform fine from what I can gather, but their appearance divides people.
Some stem bowl combinations are better than others.
I think the bent Falcon Hunter with a little bowl is my favourite in terms of appearance. But I'm struggling to find a photo. Here is the best I could find. I think a little rusticated bulldog would be a better looking bowl personally.

1715697738232.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm fairly pleased with the construction and function of a briar/vulcanite tobacco pipe, but I understand that the flexibility of multiple bowl options could be appealing. But for me, the plastic stem is the deal breaker, much like MM pipes, that have not been modded. For me, life's too short for crappy stems.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Whatever @condorlover1 says, you just can't deny the innate sex appeal of the humble Falcon.

I can't be bothered to dig out all of mine. By their very nature they end up in rucksacks, coat pockets and in the shed. The great thing about Falcons is they're almost impossible to get a bad smoke from, so they're great for beginners, and they're great for travelling and throwing in a pocket. Since @simong mentioned them, here is the Peaks Pipes falcon bowl I bought at the UK pipe show:1715699401908794824934793751466.jpg

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'm fairly pleased with the construction and function of a briar/vulcanite tobacco pipe, but I understand that the flexibility of multiple bowl options could be appealing. But for me, the plastic stem is the deal breaker, much like MM pipes, that have not been modded. For me, life's too short for crappy stems.
I don't really mind them, but there is also a huge amount of variation. I did go and dig some stems out after all!

Far left is an early vulcanite stem model (thanks @simong ), next is I believe a very early one (but I can't remember where I found that out), next is a 60s British-made one, next is 70s or 80s British, last is a modern one.17156998348792275614949703155993.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Soap Bar in the old man’s falcon? Cad & a bounder sir! You sure you’re not Welsh??

(song will offend the easily offended, clan smokers etc.)