4 Year Old Newminster 400 - Exceptional!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Anyone out there liking this blend also likes C&D's Bright Virginia? @hoosierpipeguy @jiminks @BROBS, others . . . ?

I ask because I've not tried this but have happily smoked a pound of C&D Bright Va the last 6 weeks. I wonder if these flakes are even more fun than Bright Va ribbon to smoke? I'll give it a try I'm guessing, but wondering anyone's thoughts who's willing to comment.

Jim, I see you've described both as either, "monochomatic," or, "one dimensional." I like that just fine in the bowls of C&D's Bright Va so for me, that's a win.

Thanks, Mark for starting this thread. Don't pay any attention to BROBS! :) LOL. And Jim, thanks from lots of us for your great reviews--I haven't forgotten you Buddy and do appreciate them, just been a little distracted with my last week's outpatient colo-rectal day surgery--ouch to say so (read, "pain in the ass!")! LOL :))
kindly
mike

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Anyone out there liking this blend also likes C&D's Bright Virginia? @hoosierpipeguy @jiminks @BROBS, others . . . ?

I ask because I've not tried this but have happily smoked a pound of C&D Bright Va the last 6 weeks. I wonder if these flakes are even more fun than Bright Va ribbon to smoke? I'll give it a try I'm guessing, but wondering anyone's thoughts who's willing to comment.

Jim, I see you've described both as either, "monochomatic," or, "one dimensional." I like that just fine in the bowls of C&D's Bright Va so for me, that's a win.

Thanks, Mark for starting this thread. Don't pay any attention to BROBS! :) LOL. And Jim, thanks from lots of us for your great reviews--I haven't forgotten you Buddy and do appreciate them, just been a little distracted with my last week's outpatient colo-rectal day surgery--ouch to say so (read, "pain in the ass!")! LOL :))
kindly
mike
I've never had the C&D blend you mention.

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Ran across a jar of 2/18 Newminster 400 last week and decided to pop it. The almost 4 years have worked well for this blend. I get more citrus sweet and tart from this blend than maple sugar sweetness. The flavors are stronger and more prominent after 4 years with the rough edges smoothed out. Really enjoying this blend, happy I put for our five pounds away. May add a couple more. Kind of reminds me of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake which is another favorite of mine for an earlier in the day smoke.

I kind of screwed up but turns out to be kind of good. When jarring, I just folded the Flake in half and stuffed as much in the jar as I could. They're so tight, all I can do is tear out broken Flake from the top and stuff it in the pipe. Very easy to load and I think breaking the flakes up may release the flavors a bit more. The moisture level is perfect, this lights and burns to a fine ash rather effortlessly.

I see this blend can still be purchased for thirty something dollars per pound. WOW! What a bargain.

View attachment 114128
Which would you say is better the newminster or stokkebye luxury navy flake ? equal age of course

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy