PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lahavior

Lurker
Apr 6, 2023
So let me start by saying that I have never smoked any nicotine or tobacco and I don't plan on doing so, no shade to those who are, I am just to afraid of the health problems that might come. I would also like to add that this is my first post in the forum.

So basically, I think that smoking a pipe looks really cool and I would like to have that look, so I am searching for a way to smoke a pipe, without smoking anything dangerous like tobacco and nicotine.
In order to find a way to achieve this goal, I started by searching all of the risks of smoking a pipe, but every website assumed that I was smoking tobacco/wanted to smoke tobacco, is anyone aware of a way for me to compile all the reasons pipe smoking is dangerous so that I could search a way to circumvent them?

• Haha
Reactions: johnscs and seanv

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
While I wouldn't say it's without risk, I'd hardly call pipe smoking dangerous. Most studies seem to show that pipe smokers live as long as non-smokers or even longer. But if you want to minimize risks and be a pipe smoker, you can do little things. Smoke less frequently, smoke outside, use filters (not sure if this will do anything other than cut down on tongue bite).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd hardly call pipe smoking dangerous.
You do know that the nicotine going to your brain is only there because it's displacing oxygen in the blood right? Hardly efficacious. So, along with the carcinogens in the smoke, pretty much any smoke, campfires, charcoal, rubber tires, etc ... I say it's dangerous. The OP needs to research and then weigh the risks versus the rewards. If he is not putting us on, he's going for a particular "look" for some reason, probably related to low self-esteem. He simply wishes to "improve" his look as he perceives others see him.

Jan 27, 2020
Why not print out photo of pipe smoke on cardstock hand cut the background out and attach them to the bowl in a way that makes it look like smoke is coming out of it. It will require more work but I would also loosely attach smoke colored translucent filaments in a way that they could catch the ambient air flow and appear to create the movement of smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
s-l500.jpg

This reminds of a true story.

There was a medical student from India, who somehow romanticized pipe smoking. He watched Father The Flame multiple times. He joined this forum and found me. He was very excited about pipe smoking and would talk about it every day. Since he was from India, I invited him to join Pipe Club of India, so he can get guidance from the veterans who live close to him.

While other pipe smokers from India could order successfully from Smoking Pipes, his orders would mysteriously disappear, so he was not being able to experience the hobby he desperately wanted it to practice. After this happened a couple of times, a kind gentleman from Pipe Club of India gifted him a complete starter set.

After getting his set, he stated he cannot smoke as he is visiting his parents. And then we went silent … completely silent.

I am sure his case is a one off. However, if you are romanticizing pipe smoking, while disliking tobacco, you might be in for a rude shock, like him.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You obviously have mixed feelings. How about smoking a pipe once a week, and getting one with a 9 mm charcoal filter which is probably the most protective type available. Then see how you feel. If your think the risk is too great, cease and desist and keep the pipe as a souvenir.

Or you could be a holiday smoker -- St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving after the feast, Arbor Day, and Presidents' Day, or something like that.

You can buy blends by strength, so go for something mild. If you want the least expensive filtered pipe, a Missouri Meerschaum cob with a 6 mm filter might do.

Welcome aboard. Good luck.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
eh, using a pipe as an accessory isn't new and has been done for decades. There's a number of famous people that other pipe smokers love to reference, who you could argue accessorized a pipe more than you ever really saw them smoking it.
Yes posers have been around for ever. Grog never actually learned to start a fire but often carried flint when he left the cave to impress the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.