PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
Title edited for brevity and whimsy. Original Title:

"Just received forever stems for cob and I don't like them"

I received a couple of straight forever stems today. Excitedly, I put them in my country gentleman mm cob, but I'm a little disappointed.

The draw on the original cob stem is so open that you can pull air through with minimal effort. It makes it so relaxing to use minimal energy. The draw on the forever stems is so tight that the pathway for air to pass through is like a needle in the forever stem compared to the original stem. Not only does the forever stem take more effort to pull the smoke through, but it also means you can't keep the pipe light as easily as the amount of air reaching the bowl is restricted.

Very disappointed with the forever stems as I had such high expectations. Sure, they are higher quality than the original stem, but the airflow requiring more effort and the reduced ability to keep the bowl alight makes me wish not to use them again and just stick to the original stem.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yanoJL

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
Forever stems are drilled and factory stems are molded. It's nearly impossible to create a stem with a draw as open as a factory MM stem while working within the confines of the size of that stem while using acrylic or vulcanite.

Try not packing so tight, you'll find the draw is easier and the pipe will stay lit.
Even when the pipe isn't packed. Just the forever stem in an empty bowl, the draw is still really restricted.

If I were to put a number on it. With the same inhale I probably pull in 40% of the smoke with the forever stem as I do with the original stem. The difference is very significant.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Even when the pipe isn't packed. Just the forever stem in an empty bowl, the draw is still really restricted.

If I were to put a number on it. With the same inhale I probably pull in 40% of the smoke with the forever stem as I do with the original stem. The difference is very significant.
And when you remove the forever stem from the pipe how's the draw on just the stem?

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
And when you remove the forever stem from the pipe how's the draw on just the stem?
I just tested them both, and the difference is huge. With twice the effort on the forever stem, I'm getting like 50% of the draw.

I love the quality of the material on the forever stem, it's a massive upgrade, but the draw kills it for me.

Looking at the two stems side by side, I'm not sure what the correct name is, but the tunnel inside the stem is at least four times bigger on the original stem compared to the forever stem, so it makes sense the draw is much restricted.

The original stem is like sucking through a thick straw, and the forever stem is like sucking through a very thin straw

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
While the draw on a forever stem is tighter than a factory injection molded MM stem I've never had a problem with one being too tight. Can you get a pipe cleaner through it easily? It could be plugged with swarf from drilling. Did you get it from Vermont Freehand? Opening up a stem isn't that difficult I have a thread on here somewhere about it.

A factory MM injection molded stem probably moves more CFM of air than any other pipe on the market. If thats what you like, you're probably going to find most pipes restrictive.

Last edited:

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
While the draw on a forever stem is tighter than a factory injection molded MM stem I've never had a problem with one being too tight. Can you get a pipe cleaner through it easily? It could be plugged with swarf from drilling. Did you get it from Vermont Freehand? Opening up a stem isn't that difficult I have a thread on here somewhere about it.

A factory MM injection molded stem probably moves more cfm of air than any other pipe on the market. If thats what you like, you're probably going to find most pipes restrictive.
Ha ha rusty, got there before you.

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
How does it pass a pipe cleaner? All my cobs have forever stems on them and I've never had a problem. Seems unusual. It may just be a faulty stem. I know I got a couple that were a bit off kilter but never a bad draw.
It can pass a pipe cleaner. It's a little tight though passing it through.

Yes I ordered them directly from Vermont Freehand.

Unfortunately I don't have anything else as a reference point. I only know the draw of a mm cob. I have a Savinelli Bing's Crosby coming in a few days which will be a new reference point in how pipes draw for me.

I really hope the draw on this forever stem isn't typical. It's much harder work with less output than the original stem.

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023

Unfortunately I don't have anything else as a reference point. I only know the draw of a mm cob. I have a Savinelli Bing's Crosby coming in a few days which will be a new reference point in how pipes draw for me.

I really hope the draw on this forever stem isn't typical. It's much harder work with less output than the original stem.
Should pass effortlessly. Contact them, you may get a replacement.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
The difference is that original MM stems are drilled for a 6mm filter. Forever Stems are non-filtered, although they fit a filtered pipe.

Using the pipe without a filter increases the draw dramatically.

They do make Non-filtered MMs but this is unrelated to your problem

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
From Vermont Freehand’s website:

Please note that these stems do not accept a filter, they only fit the cob pipes that are made to fit filters with the original stem.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
The difference is that original MM stems are drilled for a 6mm filter. Forever Stems are non-filtered, although they fit a filtered pipe.

Using the pipe without a filter increases the draw dramatically.

They do make Non-filtered MMs but this is unrelated to your problem
Absolutely. The first thing I do with my stems is take out the filter. I love the draw from a stem with no filter.

The draw from my forever stem with no filter is comparable to the draw on the original stem with a filter

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

If you have trouble getting a cleaner through it, it may be drilled poorly. I'd email Steve at Vermont Freehand and tell him your stem is partially blocked and ask if he would supply you with another one.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
I’m not going to tell you how to smoke a pipe, but if the Forever Stem isn’t occluded in some manner, it’s all the draw you need. Too many CFM’s=hotter burn=less flavor+mouth burn.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the term CFM. Can you enlighten me?