PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
If you've only ever smoked MM Cobs, as Rustie said...
A factory MM injection molded stem probably moves more CFM of air than any other pipe on the market. If thats what you like, you're probably going to find most pipes restrictive.

This is what I would put my money on. Probably the forever stems aren't too restrictive, you're just not accustomed to how 99% of pipes draw because your only experience is with MM cobs with OEM stems without a filter.

Pipe cleaners aren't all made the same either. I find the Brigham pipe cleaners are a little thicker and harder to pass than BJ Longs, particularly mid smoke when the pipe is warmed up (airway becomes marginally more restricted). There should be some resistance when trying to pass a pipe cleaner, but shouldn't be like super hard to get one through. If it can pass a Brigham pipe cleaner without TOO much effort, it's probably not too restrictive, you're just not used to it.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
If you've only ever smoked MM Cobs, as Rustie said...

This is what I would put my money on. Probably the forever stems aren't too restrictive, you're just not accustomed to how 99% of pipes draw because your only experience is with MM cobs with OEM stems without a filter.

Pipe cleaners aren't all made the same either. I find the Brigham pipe cleaners are a little thicker and harder to pass than BJ Longs, particularly mid smoke when the pipe is warmed up (airway becomes marginally more restricted). There should be some resistance when trying to pass a pipe cleaner, but shouldn't be like super hard to get one through. If it can pass a Brigham pipe cleaner without TOO much effort, it's probably not too restrictive, you're just not used to it.
Yes. I think it's just my inexperience.

I tried something new a moment ago. When lighting my pipe, I took much deeper inhales than I did prior to create a deeper and stronger ember.
Creating way more smoke than I did earlier. I think this is the way to go. I was able to keep the pipe lit for longer this way with the forever stem.

With the reduced airflow in my draws from the forever stem my pipe kept going out more quickly compared to the original stem.

I think the forever stem highlighted an issue with my technique, I wasn't creating an optimal ember.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have several of the forever stems to replace the plastic ones and they are bulkier than even the acrylic stems that come with MM from their other lines. I've decided to only buy the MM if they come with acrylic stems from the beginning.
This is what I do and would recommend as well. The forever stems were necessary at one point because there were almost no MM cobs that came with acrylic stems 8-10 years ago. There are so many MM cobs now that come with acrylic stems with wide open draws.

Reactions: proteus

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
This is what I do and would recommend as well. The forever stems were necessary at one point because there were almost no MM cobs that came with acrylic stems 8-10 years ago. There are so many MM cobs now that come with acrylic stems with wide open draws.
You mention some of the newer cobs now come with a nicer acrylic stem. I thought the cheaper cops also had an acrylic stem? In terms of materials the stems are made from the same thing?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
You mention some of the newer cobs now come with a nicer acrylic stem. I thought the cheaper cops also had an acrylic stem? In terms of materials the stems are made from the same thing?
Cobs either have acrylic stems or plastic stems. It explicitly says on their website which model has which. For example a Legend has a plastic stem. An Emerald cob has an acrylic stem.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
Cobs either have acrylic stems or plastic stems. It explicitly says on their website which model has which. For example a Legend has a plastic stem. An Emerald cob has an acrylic stem.
Oh right. I should have got a cob with an acrylic stem. Is it possible to buy one the cob acrylic stems to fit a country gentleman?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Oh right. I should have got a cob with an acrylic stem. Is it possible to buy one the cob acrylic stems to fit a country gentleman?
You would have to use a forever stem made for a filtered pipe to use a forever stem on a country gentleman. I would suggest looking for an unfiltered cob with an acrylic stem sold by MM and I think you'll be satisfied with the draw.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
You would have to use a forever stem made for a filtered pipe to use a forever stem on a country gentleman. I would suggest looking for an unfiltered cob with an acrylic stem sold by MM and I think you'll be satisfied with the draw.
That's a good suggestion. Unfortunately I've got 5 of these country gentleman's now.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah the bite zones on the forever stems are absolute honkers. I want to file down the ones I own but am not interested in owning any more.

I find that the acrylic stems from MM are still too thick for my liking though.

alhf94

Lurker
Sep 25, 2023
I swapped out two of my MM cob plastic stems for the Forever 'upgrades'. Sure, the Forever stems are nicer quality material but I've never had my cobs gurgle before putting them on. Perhaps their narrower airway is to blame?
The same here. My cobs never gurgled with the original stem but do with the forever stem

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Yeah the bite zones on the forever stems are absolute honkers. I want to file down the ones I own but am not interested in owning any more.

I find that the acrylic stems from MM are still too thick for my liking though.
That was my issue too.

I put forever stems on 2 cobs, and I just realized I haven't used either of them since June.

Reactions: Buffalo

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I swapped out two of my MM cob plastic stems for the Forever 'upgrades'. Sure, the Forever stems are nicer quality material but I've never had my cobs gurgle before putting them on. Perhaps their narrower airway is to blame?
It could be due to the massive air hole coming to a dead end with the flat tenonface. Try countersinking/chamfering them to have a smoother airflow.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden