PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My local tobacco store was raided by the 'Old Bill' (Police, The Fuzz, The Filth etc) in the late 1970s since they found several cartons old Old Morocco Gold cigarettes from the 1920s in the basement of a local tobacconist. The packets of illicit smokes carried instructions to sit in a comfy armchair before lighting up. Apparently they contained marijuana as the active ingredient. I have often wondered how popular they were back in the day. I guess people had to be stoned to dance the Charleston!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My local tobacco store was raided by the 'Old Bill' (Police, The Fuzz, The Filth etc) in the late 1970s since they found several cartons old Old Morocco Gold cigarettes from the 1920s in the basement of a local tobacconist. The packets of illicit smokes carried instructions to sit in a comfy armchair before lighting up. Apparently they contained marijuana as the active ingredient. I have often wondered how popular they were back in the day. I guess people had to be stoned to dance the Charleston!
That's the only time I do that dance!

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
That’s very interesting. Do you think people knew or were just like “man this is some strong tobacco”.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't know but I remember it being in the local paper. I mean in the 1920s you could buy anything from your local Chemists if you signed the 'Poisons Register' and were of the age of majority. Could you imagine walking into your local Walgreens Pharmacy section today and saying 'My good fella I would like an Oz of your purist Columbian white since the Misses and I will be out partying Friday night. Poisons register you say? Naturally I will sign that and I better have a pack of those medicinal herbal cigarettes from Mexico as well - Morocco Old Gold or something I think they are called!'.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I don't know but I remember it being in the local paper. I mean in the 1920s you could buy anything from your local Chemists if you signed the 'Poisons Register' and were of the age of majority. Could you imagine walking into your local Walgreens Pharmacy section today and saying 'My good fella I would like an Oz of your purist Columbian white since the Misses and I will be out partying Friday night. Poisons register you say? Naturally I will sign that and I better have a pack of those medicinal herbal cigarettes from Mexico as well - Morocco Old Gold or something I think they are called!'.
An ounce? For one night? Daaaaaamn y'all, @condorlover1 knows how to party!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Apparently in the 1920s Al Capone was rather partial to a line of the 'Old Columbian Marching powder' and it was given to dock workers to prevent fatigue. Must have been a popular past time working at the NY Docks! rotf

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Though one really old man I talked to in the 1990s said that cigarettes from that part of the world at that time had opium added to them. I never took his claim seriously but now I have to wonder.
The Coca-Cola had cocaine in it & you could get pretty much anything at the pharmacy that would get you 20 years in prison today. Not a surprise that they had to specify their cigarettes didn’t contain opium.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
The Coca-Cola had cocaine in it & you could get pretty much anything at the pharmacy that would get you 20 years in prison today. Not a surprise that they had to specify their cigarettes didn’t contain opium.
So that's what differentiates a "light" from "regular" cigarette lol

Aug 1, 2012
Lived in a country not so long ago where you could get codeine over the counter. It was nice as a cough medicine.