PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My perfectionator never stops zeroing in on things to perfectionize.

Last week I took a 1956 Dunhill shape 56 from my rack to snap a photo of its manufacture date to help someone determine if their Dunhill was from 1956 or 1966.

When I did, I noticed I hadn't smoked it in years.

I thought about why, and realized it was because the stem/shank transition was clunky. Specifically, the shank was "bloated" and leveling at the time of manufacture had been done heavy handedly.

It was noticeable in profile, and outright wince-inducing when seen from above (though no photos of that... I didn't plan on making a thread out of this).

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 12.34.48 AM.png

What to do? Put the shank on a diet, of course. Reduce its diameter so it flows into the stem the way it should have to start with.

It's mucher gooder now, and smoking it is a pleasure. (It's being puffed on as I type)

Don't know why I didn't do it years ago. It's a fine smoking, friendly little guy. :)

P1060970.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Nicely done!

So only the shank was reduced in diameter and nothing was done to the stem? And did you then do a light blasting to it so it matches the rest of the bowl?

Reactions: dunnyboy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
FWIW, know that Joel Sasieni is to blame for this.

A look at the lines of this pipe I posted a month ago will explain everything:

Ain't no going back when you smoke a pipe like that one for a month, then pick up a Dunhill 56 whose shank looks like an eggplant. The decision gets made FOR you.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don’t think it’s ok to fat shame your pipes anymore. Off to the reeducation camp you go George.

The problem with trying to change reality via willful self-delusion (either internally generated or coerced Winston Smith-style, the result is the same), is that it doesn't work.

Put another way, those BMI charts are created from empirical evidence, and what's being measured is binary. Biological organisms are either dead or alive. There is no "C".

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 9.02.16 PM.png

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The stem had to be finessed slightly, and all "blasting" is done by hand.

Here's a shop-level view of the process if you're into such things:

Thanks. I enjoyed this. I’m not very good with machines and I could never carve pipes. I probably wouldn’t try this with a Dunhill because I lack confidence, but this gave me some interesting ideas for what one can do with discarded pipes, maybe even with elementary tools and dyes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The purist collector in me cringes at the idea of altering the pipe from its “as issued” state from the marque.

How I deal with it is pretending I have a combination time/machine magic wand, and could send the pipe back to the "finished" tray on the day it was made. Would the QA guy give it a thumb's up?

Little doubt he would and probably feel better about it than version A.

Which makes it a win for everyone. :col:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
How I deal with it is pretending I have a combination time/machine magic wand, and could send the pipe back to the "finished" tray on the day it was made. Would the QA guy give it a thumb's up?

Little doubt he would and probably feel better about it than version A.

Which makes it a win for everyone. :col:
Serious question.

After seeing so many, and working on so many, do you think Alfred himself cared about these "minute" details?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Serious question.

After seeing so many, and working on so many, do you think Alfred himself cared about these "minute" details?

Philosophically, yes.

Meaning as a businessman, he was in favor of anything that contributed to his brand's excellence and the public thinking it was the best available.

QA slipped a bit in this case---I've never seen such clumsy leveling on a pipe made in the 1950's---and a correction is still a correction, even if 68 years late, right? ;)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Do you think the next owner should know about this work? Just curious what your take is.