PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The problem with trying to change reality via willful self-delusion (either internally generated or coerced Winston Smith-style, the result is the same), is that it doesn't work.

Put another way, those BMI charts are created from empirical evidence, and what's being measured is binary. Biological organisms are either dead or alive. There is no "C".

View attachment 284455
I’m so glad I finally have a label that fits me: infini-fat.

• Haha
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are a bold man George, with the skills to pull it off. I suspect you are a crowd of one these days.
I forgot that the 56 shape is a mini-me of the 120.
Most 120's seem to be proportioned similar to the Sasieni VLS, mine below, or did I get lucky?

Did the smaller 56, with less real estate to work with make the proportion ratio more challenger to the Dunhill carver?

1706968274659.jpeg
1706968294122.jpeg

Reactions: MattRVA

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I like it. Wouldn't have noticed the problem unless you had shown the end result.

But...hand-blasting isn't a skill I'm ready to add to my arsenal, so I'll have to let bloated pipes lie.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
You are a bold man George, with the skills to pull it off. I suspect you are a crowd of one these days.
I forgot that the 56 shape is a mini-me of the 120.
Most 120's seem to be proportioned similar to the Sasieni VLS, mine below, or did I get lucky?

Did the smaller 56, with less real estate to work with make the proportion ratio more challenger to the Dunhill carver?

I know there is variance in these shapes, but my 56's have noticeably sharper shank angles than my 120's. I have a single lonely 9 that has about the same angle as the 120's, but the 120 is a touch steeper.

Top to bottom: large bowl 1958 '56, small bowl 1935 '120, 1924 '9' (the stems of the 56 and 9 are not original, so I didn't bother confusing people by showing them :))

9Kfwz7U.jpeg

Feb 11, 2024
Texas
My perfectionator never stops zeroing in on things to perfectionize.

Last week I took a 1956 Dunhill shape 56 from my rack to snap a photo of its manufacture date to help someone determine if their Dunhill was from 1956 or 1966.

When I did, I noticed I hadn't smoked it in years.

I thought about why, and realized it was because the stem/shank transition was clunky. Specifically, the shank was "bloated" and leveling at the time of manufacture had been done heavy handedly.

It was noticeable in profile, and outright wince-inducing when seen from above (though no photos of that... I didn't plan on making a thread out of this).

View attachment 284245

What to do? Put the shank on a diet, of course. Reduce its diameter so it flows into the stem the way it should have to start with.

It's mucher gooder now, and smoking it is a pleasure. (It's being puffed on as I type)

Don't know why I didn't do it years ago. It's a fine smoking, friendly little guy. :)

View attachment 284247
It looks marvelous! Pray tell, what did you do to adjust it?