Anybody Smoke a Pipe while Playing Golf?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Dirk Heinemann Pipes
12 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes
12 Fresh Jacono Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I play a lot of golf and usually smoke 3 Cigars per round. Been wondering how a pipe might work. I'd probably use cobs as it is inevitable I'd lose and break some. I'm a bit concerned about wind, lighting and keeping the pipe lit and hot embers burning holes in my clothes.

Anybody here have any experience in these conditions? And any tips?
Lids are good as is packing a bit tighter to slow the burn. You might want to restrict the draw if you use cobs, I do that by rolling up some paper and inserting it like a filter, so that the diameter of the effective bore is more like a typical briar.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I just noticed something in the o.p.: Cobs!

Cobs on a golf course, Sirrah? Maybe on those course that allow jeans and tees.....

[Not illegal nor immoral, just a different set of mores.]
The Country Club I belong to has a very strict dress code that is enforced. I am confident there is no issue smoking a cob on the course.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I usually walk, so wouldn’t attempt a pipe while I’m already huffing and puffing to try and get a quick round in.

I’d do it if I was riding though. I see one of the old timers at my course puffing his briar in his personal cart quite often.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Sometimes looking right doesn’t mean much. Maybe more cobs on the course would support less tantrums over bad shots…and/or…lessen the long and paused pose at follow-through while watching an amazing tee shot and hearing the ball striker say, “going to be a long day, boys.”

1641742749375.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sometimes looking right doesn’t mean much. Maybe more cobs on the course would support less tantrums over bad shots…and/or…lessen the long and paused pose at follow-through while watching an amazing tee shot and hearing the ball striker say, “going to be a long day, boys.”
Nah! A $490 Dunhill does far more to quell tantrums than a cob!

Remember: It's better to look good than feel good.

~ Billy Crystal as Fernando, SNL.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I smoke a pipe on the course. A cob is a solid suggestion for obvious reasons......what I typically use is either a large Tsuge poker or a Curvy.

I typically smoke outside at home so wind/lighting not that much of a deal breaker. On the course...where my cadence/relight pattern is choppy...being able to break down/wipe out moisture easily is the key feature for me to keep the smoke fresh. The Tsuge barrel isn't what I reach for smoking at home...but on the course it's easy to load/a sitter for the cart while I'm up with a club, a snap to break down (friction stem pops on-off, you can unscrew/rescrew the mortise) while a bowl remains lit, the metal shroud slides up for wind protection, and it's got a metal rim protector. The Curvy is the better clencher by a mile if that's someone's preferred approach.....the large Tsuge is much more a hold n' puff affair.

20220109_112656.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. My father tried very hard to get me into golf. Never happened. I just couldn't stomach the short game. Maybe I'll try again later. He tried to get me into hockey, he was an ice hockey player in school. I hated it until I was in grad school.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Of course not. If smoking isn't prohibited, cobs are "on". But that leaves the question of what looks right and what doesn't. Not that everyone cares a whit about that.

There are so few people that smoke pipes these days, I'm not sure the vast majority of people would know the difference. I'm sure I'll hear some ration of crap regardless of what kind of pipe I smoke.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I’ve been playing golf 55 years, smoking a pipe 50 years, and never smoke my pipe on the course. The pipe offers too many distractions and delays plus there’s the big risk of losing or breaking a pipe. I’ll stick with beer and an occasional cigars during the round.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where is this happening?

Give it a try! In my experience, there are no distractions nor delays in smoking a pipe on the course. And I have never come close to breaking or losing a pipe.

Give it a go! You've to lose only a prejudice.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I understand the impulse to get many activities going at once, multi-tasking for enhanced stimulation and to fill every moment with content of some kind. Personally, I like to go in the other direction and increase focus on one thing and find the shape and context of that. I suppose someone could introduce stretches of mediation and alternate physical exercises not related to golf to go with your golf game, along with alternating cigars and a pipe. But why? I'd rather hone things down to one activity and explore the multiple facets of that. Maybe I can see a cigar as a golf thing, not for me, but appropriate. Less is more.

Reactions: PeterPipersPizza

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
While your playing partners are texting checking email or social media and complaining between holes about the slow play you can sit back and relax with some nice slow burning sweet Virginia. You are going to beat them like a drum?