PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cengic

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
Hello everyone. First post here after being a lurker for a while... As the title says, does anyone use clippers? i really like the shape and design and it's functionality but I just can't seem to use them to light my pipe, mainly because the flame becomes too aggressive when i tilt the lighter to bring it close to my bowl. I bought a brand new one, thought maybe it was just that specific lighter, but nope. People mention this as a feature but i don't know, it's really hard to use. Anyone got some tips?

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've used them for years for lighting cigars when I can't use matches, like in my car. A Zippo flame is too much. I never had any difficulty with them, other than being temperature sensitive. Kept in a hot car in the summer, they become cute little flame throwers. I much prefer the Zippo for pipes, with its soft, broad flame. Maybe put them in the refrigerator? It's like a cold shower for the flame.

cengic

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
I've used them for years for lighting cigars when I can't use matches, like in my car. A Zippo flame is too much. I never had any difficulty with them, other than being temperature sensitive. Kept in a hot car in the summer, they become cute little flame throwers. I much prefer the Zippo for pipes, with its soft, broad flame. Maybe put them in the refrigerator? It's like a cold shower for the flame.
Never thought of that, I'll mess around with the temperature and see how that fares, thank you

Reactions: newbroom and seanv

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I sprung for some a couple months ago. My bic supply had diminished and I decided to give a Clipper a try. I ordered 3 cards of 3. I probably will never order another lighter. I will say that the shape of a bic is just about perfect. Refilling is nice. They're light too. Not bad. i haven't tried or needed to change a flint yet.

Reactions: JOHN72

BronzeAgePiper

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
They are fantastic. The only downside is that they last a few months, unless you want to repair them. I mean, if you get a lot of use out of it.
View attachment 308231
Those with the chrome tips are for some reason absolute trash, I’ve bought a five pack of the new ones, they lasted maybe a month man. Terrible quality. I had an older one with black top, that’s lasted years but I lost it so I knew something was perhaps up with the new ones. Ordered an older pack off eBay (black tops) . Sure enough work like a charm.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Some 20 years ago, rubberized grips of various designs for Clippers were all the rage here in London. I had a green one with big black spikes that was... tactile. I was having a pint with a colleague from Dresden, who picked it up and said "Cherman people vould stick zis in zeir assholes!". I kind of stopped using it after that.

Last edited:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Some 20 years ago, rubberized grips of various designs for Clippers were all the rage here in London. I had a green one with big black spikes that was... tactile. I was having a pint with a colleague from Dresden, who picked it up and said "Cherman people vould stick zis in zeir assholes!". I kind of stopped using it after that.
Rumor has it that I've heard of people in Soho who were just like that. The tactile rubbers were cult. Inserting objects into the anal area can lead to pleasurable sensations. But be careful! Inserting a clipper could lead to explosive, flammable gas in the abdomen. That makes quite a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: BingBong