PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Buggy as hell, and with a myriad problems, but amazing. I played for months yet never made is more than half-way through the main quest, but I didn't care. Truly an open-ended game where you made your story. I vaguely remember buying a house, a ship, becoming a werewolf, getting cured, then becoming a vampire... What's amazing for me is that many years after I played Daggerfall, when I had reliable and fast internet, I found just how much stuff were crammed into that world, Daedric quests, vampire clans, alchemy, creating ridiculous spells and items. I played Morrowind as well, in a much more structured way, but never got into Oblivion and Skyrim.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Since one of the things I look forward to most in a game is a great story, we shouldn't forget adventure games. Gemini Rue and Primordia are awesome games. The music from Gemini Rue is fantastic too.

Definitely! A solid story line can really pull a game together. Like Bioshock. Great game, but the story really puts the cherry on top.

Then there’s that beautiful puzzle game that’s kind of obscure but fun. No story line really... Myst? It had stunning graphics at the time. I never owned it but some of the guys at work would play it on lunch or break. I’m wanting to say it was Myst, or had Myst in the title. ?

Reactions: danimalia and Elric

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I too indulge in a good video game, well ... in my case computer game whenever time allows for it. I never got into the whole console thing. I did own a PS3 at a certain time, which was gifted to me by a pal that was crazy about them. He gave it away when he bought the PS4, but I did not manage to get myself to like it. I parted with it after a while, gave it to my godson. I have not played recently, although I did buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Between not having too much time on my hands and a very bad release by Activision, to the point where when I did have time I could not log in to the servers, I didn't spend much time with that either. In the past I did play Diablo III spent some 200 odd hours with it - it got boring in the stages where you had to play the same thing over and over again for loot. Fallout 3/new vegas/4 was another good one. Witcher 3 ... I did beat the game, but I found the books to be far more satisfying. Skyrim, I found that to be too much of a time trap for me. I think oblivion or the release after that is the last I have played.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Been playing video games since 1981 when I got a Mattel intellivision for Christmas.
I mainly play retro games on Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and Nintendo64 and I've got a pretty decent collection of games for each system.
Recently I've been playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64, Shenmue 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and also Command & Conquer 3 on Xbox 360.

Chris

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I was obsessed with World of Warcraft back in '06 or '07. I was still working at the time and I would play before work, after work and for hours on the weekend. I was addicted and I loved it. Then one day I went cold turkey and deleted my account and that was it.

Last year I bought this
thinking it would be fun to play the games I played with the kids. I played for about two hours and got bored. Packed it all up and now it sits on a closet shelf.

This thread makes me feel old.
In high school, I had one of those handheld football games that had three blinky lights verses one blinky light. I picked up a PlayStation after having kids, but I just didn't have the patience to set still for that long. And, my kids just preferred playing outside, so we never progressed into the newer game formats.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm playing borderlands 3 right now on xbox one, before that it was monster hunter world. I used to play game all the time but have slowed down in the last couple years, I guess do to me getting a bit older and picking up new hobbies and what not. Now I only get 2 or 3 games a year. I'm a huge fallout fan but found 4 to be so so and I'm super glad I didn't get 76. Also love the elder scrolls games. I had to actually force myself to stop playing ESO online.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Never into consoles. I actually hated them. Not that my father would have allowed one into the house in the first place. He hates electronic entertainment as much as he does tobacco. He bought me my first computer as a school tool; he never approved of the games, except for Hardball 4 (he's a baseball uber-fan). If it wasn't computer games it was the arcade. Oh man, all the blends I could buy with all the money I pissed away at the arcade...

Never in to MMORPGs either, when they were interesting, my Internet connexion sucked, when I got stable broadband I wasn't interested. The only multiplayer I did was null modem and later LAN, then some Internet multiplayer with Red Faction—tons of fun, but that was it. Like gin, computer games have been most of a solitary thing for me.

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Video games were just emerging when our son was a kid. He had them and I would dutifully occasionally play them with him. Never really got into it though. Was amazed and somewhat alarmed at how even very young kids can pick it up. One of my grandkids was playing around with them when less than 3 and 1 was already whipping my butt with them when he was 7. I'm actually a bit troubled by the addictive nature of them, concerned that they will turn kids into hermits with no social skills or imagination.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm actually a bit troubled by the addictive nature of them, concerned that they will turn kids into hermits with no social skills or imagination.
They're not half as bad as mobile phones and/or suxial media.

I'm nonetheless concerned myself, though; but I'm more worried about them as means of indoctrination, specially in a time when there's so much parental absenteeism.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
They're not half as bad as mobile phones and/or suxial media.

I'm nonetheless concerned myself, though; but I'm more worried about them as means of indoctrination, specially in a time when there's so much parental absenteeism.
Fortunately, cell phones hadn't been developed when our son was a teen. I tend to think there's much more down-side to cell phones and social media than positives for teens.