Are VaPers the Biggest Rabbit Hole in Pipe Tobacco or is it Straight Va?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Something I have been ruminating on for a while: since smoking my first VaPer three years ago (DLNRs) I have been chasing the dragon of the perfect VaPer for me. Haven’t found it yet but have found several VERY enjoyable blends along the way. Some definite keepers to build up.

As an ignorant guy, I wrote off straight Virginias because Capstan blue did not deliver its amazing tin note to the smoke (for me), yet since the summer I have found myself really digging some select straight Virginias, starting from Full Virginia Plug, GH Curly Cut Deluxe (thought it contains Perique, it doesn’t), and more recently being VERY excited about F&T Cut Blended Plug, this blend is incredible!

Latakia has lost its draw for almost a year now (though Nightcap still holds, and more recently tried Schurch tobaccos may be here to stay), DFK I still love but not running to it as I did last year, and VaPers make 80% of what I smoke. So I found myself wondering if I am closing in on graduating from Latakias, DFK bombs and VaPers to the club of straight Va. I’ve started building a stash of Full Virginia Plug, and been hovering over Georg Huber’s Golden Flake for a while now, as well as seriously considering digging more into F&T.

Will straight Va be the final and biggest rabbit hole?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
+1 on No. I'm still a baby in regards of tobacco, but I enjoy the variety pipetobacco and cigars give me and VA's are till now my least favorite. Still tasty, but for me a little flat. Maybe its my tastebuds and not having any with age on them, but I wouldnt see me smoke 80% VA's in the foreseeable future.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Tonight I’m having a nightcap of Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, (which has to be better stuff than the 399 attempts they took at ordinary navy flake). It’s fruity and tastes like oranges, then like lemons, indescribably drlicious

Men have been enjoying bright leaf Virginia tobaccos, the really good ones, for over 150 years.

Virginia bright leaf is the Mona Lisa of tobaccos,

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have heard so many English smokers say that early on and now years later they rarely touch latakia if at all.
If that's the case, than that's the case and I won't be sad about it. As said, i'm not that experienced and have tried some englishes (965, Presby and Red Rapparee) and I don't get that campfire smokeyness but more a drier spicer experience from the orientals.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's not like there is a final destination for pipe smokers that all must inevitably reach.
My experience is one of finding some blends I like and getting comfortable with them regardless of genre, barring lat blends, I don't smoke those anymore.
I try something new now and then, but not as much as I did. There's no need.
Btw, burleys are a nice rabbit hole as well.

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
It was actually Capstan blue that got me hooked to pipe smoking. Still love it but I also love latakia based English and Balkan blends and that springboard was a Virginia/latakia blend by S&G called Balkan Flake which is still one of my favorites.
Cant stand perique even though I've tried to like it. We all have different tastes and thats okay.