Are VaPers the Biggest Rabbit Hole in Pipe Tobacco or is it Straight Va?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

When I first got on the forum and started listening to the radioshow, I was thinking in terms of “rabbit holes” also. And, I became a bit of a Perique head also. But, as I got to exploring blends and branching out, I realized that I appreciate variety more. Changing seasons, new small batches, and growing my own gave me more varieties to explore.
The one thing that stays constant for me is pure tobacco taste. I still prefer less casings and toppings. But, within that preference there are many different flavors that can be coaxed out of tobaccos. So, if there is a “rabbit hole” that I’m in, it’s just tobacco flavors.

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
When I first got on the forum and started listening to the radioshow, I was thinking in terms of “rabbit holes” also. And, I became a bit of a Perique head also. But, as I got to exploring blends and branching out, I realized that I appreciate variety more. Changing seasons, new small batches, and growing my own gave me more varieties to explore.
The one thing that stays constant for me is pure tobacco taste. I still prefer less casings and toppings. But, within that preference there are many different flavors that can be coaxed out of tobaccos. So, if there is a “rabbit hole” that I’m in, it’s just tobacco flavors.
I agree, pipe tobacco itself is a rabbit hole that leads to other rabbit holes because we all know how bunnies multiply.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke more straight Virginia flakes than any other type of blend. I have around 22 I believe in my cellar. Capstan Blue is a favorite especially with 8 plus years of age.
Some of my other favorites are the following. Most are a bitch to find as I bought almost all of mine in 2012-2013.

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage Flake, Special Brown Flake.
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake, Gold Virginia Flake, Gold Brick.
Astleys no 44 Dark Flake and no 109 Medium Flake
Samuel Gaiwith Best Brown Flake
John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
As a self proclaimed virginia/vaper snob, I'm coming out as aromatic-curious. Currently, I'm experiencing a very strong, never before felt urge to smell like Santa Claus. Talk about a rabbit hole. How many vanilla cavendish choices can there be?

Anybody have a snickerdoodle cookie aromatic suggestion?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The best tobacco on earth for a pipe is golden Virginia bright leaf.

Then in 1907 R J Reynolds infused licorice in burley leaf and the modern aromatic pipe tobacco was born.

In England, because of purity laws, the makers blended in Latakia amd Perique for spice, and a little dark burley for nicotine.

You can smoke dozens of flavors of aromatics, but the top seller is Q-1.

I smoke some Q-1, but Virginia Gold Cherry, Smoker’s Pride Cherry, and Cult Blood Red Moon are all very close products to RLP-6.

Cherry aromatics smell good in the room, and they taste good, too.

The Virginia heavy blends are for your own pleasure outside.

If you’d like your pipe to be welcome indoors around ladies, smoke candy flavored tobacco.

I learned that almost fifty years ago, in the dormitory lobby.

There were a lot of young girls from the conservatory of music, I could teach hillbilly classics like There’s a Blue Moon Over my Shoulder.

But when your pipe smells bad, you ain’t too welcome either.:)

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
Just smoke what you like. But don’t ever pass up an opportunity to try something new. I personally don’t get anything out of most Va.s or vapors, with a couple exceptions but I try any that I come across because they are Not all the same. Also, I don’t taste the same things you do in a tobacco so I don’t get caught up in trying to pick out the tastes someone else tastes. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
So far VA'pers are the lowest thing in my cellar. Lately GH Lakelands and shags have been gaining ground. I usually hear of Perique as being peppery. I love Latakia and DF and other spicy tobaccos but for some reason "peppery" has drawn me in tobacco wise.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
As a self proclaimed virginia/vaper snob, I'm coming out as aromatic-curious. Currently, I'm experiencing a very strong, never before felt urge to smell like Santa Claus. Talk about a rabbit hole. How many vanilla cavendish choices can there be?

Anybody have a snickerdoodle cookie aromatic suggestion?
Boswell's Christmas Cookie = Snickerdoodle ?