PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When a blend is a total flop for me, after four or five bowls and full consideration, I find that if I jar it up and leave it for a year, more or less, by the time I get back to it, I have often "figured it out," and find it better, even quite good. The old three brain cells have been thinking it over in the subconscious, and if there is any way I am going to enjoy it, at least two of the brain cells have figured out how. C&D Bayou Night and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue are two blends where my experience went from a C- to an A over the hiatus.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
So it's been a week, and I decided to try a couple of bowls of it today. I packed it using the Frank method, or at least my version of it, and I kept it in my mouth and sipped it. The maple is clearly there, but I still find it rather concealed. I will probably get a tin of it as soon as Smokingpipes drops another sale, because I think I got a somewhat bad batch. Bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased a 50 g tin of Autumn Evening here in Ontario, Canada, ($45 was the price!!!) and have been enjoying it. I'm really trying not to puff too hard and to just use the breathe method as much as possible. I find the maple flavouring is quite heavy, which makes for a great room note. Now, I'm a beginner with very little experience in tasting lots of tobaccos, so take my comment with a grain of salt. It's possible that it doesn't have much flavour to an experienced smoker, but to my very novice tastebuds, it's not bad.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
Hello, again, everyone! I thought I'd do an update after leaving the tobacco alone for a couple of weeks. Today I gave it a new shot, and I packed it incredibly loosely. FYI I also tried Connoisseur's Choice a few days back in the same pipe, and I didn't find it that flavorful, but Autumn Evening totally changed today! I wouldn't call it a maple bomb, but atleast I could taste the maple with some sweetness in the background. Perhaps it was the packing method, or maybe smoking another aromatic adjusted the palate? Or maybe it was a combination of both. Either way, I enjoyed it.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Right on man. Glad to hear you got some of that good maple loving. I echo what others contributed already. My personal experience has been some really great bowls and some real average. The difference for me has been how much flame gets on the baccy. Take a flame thrower to it and you get hot acrid shit. Just touch the flame and simmer the bowl and it will shine like the treat others glow about. Keep at it and enjoy.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Right on man. Glad to hear you got some of that good maple loving. I echo what others contributed already. My personal experience has been some really great bowls and some real average. The difference for me has been how much flame gets on the baccy. Take a flame thrower to it and you get hot acrid shit. Just touch the flame and simmer the bowl and it will shine like the treat others glow about. Keep at it and enjoy.

This is a good tip, thanks. As a beginner I find it hard to keep the bowl lit sometimes so end up applying a lot of fire, but maybe with experience this will not be the case.

Reactions: Sidehatch

Charrington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2022
Flagler County, Florida
Slow down... it is still just an aromatic, just one that most people rave about. But, still, it is just as tastable as the rest. But, you'll want to slow way down, so that you can get the taste of the heated leaf surrounding the cherry. When it actually just combusts, there is no taste in any aromatic. But, if you'll let it burn just at the edge of going out, you'll get surrounding leaf to heat up and give off their oils as a flavor.

Smell is your friend also, in helping you taste.

But, it is not easy for one to smell just their own pipe as they smoke. It takes a lot of practice and slowing down.

Some might suggest the retrohale, but for me that burns out my sinuses, but it could be an option.
Very well said.