Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'll play along--lest this become another thread derailed by hooters (and I don't mean owls!)...

View attachment 156217

Usually, the prevailing accipiter here is the Red-tailed hawk, but this Red-shouldered hawk showed up and started circling with a partner. I hope they gorge themselves on mice while they're here...
Hooters ? or Titmice ? The ones here are much smaller !
1657507859867.png
Love the red shouldered hawk --- we don't have those that I know of in Connecticut. We have red tailed, red-tailed with the rectangle bar under wingtips, marsh/field hawks, Harriers (beautiful), bald eagles, kites, etc. The picture I posted above was last fall through my kitchen window... that branch is shoulder height and overlooks the back yard.
It was hunting chipmunks because they ate all the mice ! They are also trying to catch small rabbits ...the grown rabbits are too big for them so the foxes get them !
In another thread I mentioned two weeks ago a Leucistic (Albino) red tail was in the yard ... all white with egg yolk yellow beak ---stunning. Hawks fly over/come through three times a day circling ... you could set your watch by them... they only land when they are hungry and hunting.

I would like to know what Huntertrw is putting in the feeder though ! ;):ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Every so often my bird feeder gets a visit, I have caught it twice but there has been evidence left behind of more frequent stops. I hope to add it to the photo catalog.
I never get a shot of the best stuff I see ... the only way to get anything is to keep the camera by the window and out it in your pocket every time you go outside and even then you will only get about 10% unless you're a professional photographer willing to wait for hours ! Best of luck in your picture hunt !!

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I never get a shot of the best stuff I see ... the only way to get anything is to keep the camera by the window and out it in your pocket every time you go outside and even then you will only get about 10% unless you're a professional photographer willing to wait for hours ! Best of luck in your picture hunt !!
I forgot about this shot, it was taken with my old phone through the window so the quality suffered.

20211101_141913.jpg

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
We have tons of song birds around. Right now I'm watching a very frustrated hawk sulk because the local murder of crows I have befriended are nesting around my chicken coop. Crows are awesome. I also seen a raven for the first time yesterday on my way back from market. Ravens aren't usually here so I called the wildlife officers to report it. Maybe it will find a mate and nest here.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
My birding app is my wife haha. She has never failed to answer "what bird is that?" or "what bird is making that sound?", usually with a glance of "how stupid are you about this"? lol. She's also who I rely on to identify trees, mushrooms, etc. She's from the country, I'm from the city. Where I live, it's mostly cardinals, blue jays, starlings, sparrows, wrens, and the occasional hawk (red, I think). I do like like their visits to my porch.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Saw an interesting sight this morning but didn't have a camera handy ... two morning doves combing the roof for building material for a nest ... fibrous strands, pieces of moss, smaller sticks ... very meticulous with one going for lighter stuff and the other heavier material. Flying off and coming back. I can hear one cooing out there now as I type.

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
We have always been bird people but since we retired on the lake, we are more birdies people. We have over 250 species of birds, many migrate. For example we get the white pelicans each year, picture in our back yard lake. Well belongs to the Corp of Engineers but my durn lake
pelicans.jpg