PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
A BLT with Hellman's Mayo and off the the vine tomato on a grill pressed French Baguette is one of the greatest of all sandwiches. a Reuben on dark or marble rye, a thanksgiving sandwich on multi-grain bread with mayo and cranberry sauce, a well made tuna-melt and smoked salmon on an everything bagel with tomato and a Liverwurst on dark rye with a slice of Bermuda onion and spicy mustard are, for me, the HOF. Club sandwiches are also enjoyable.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Beautiful !! That's a NeWorlD Order I could follow !!! :ROFLMAO: I was only in Texas three times (deep east), once when it was 108 degrees in the shade ! I loved the people and fit right in ... they would ask the person I was with where they were from and that person responded angrily "The same place he's from !" ... (I tend to pick up accents naturally when traveling ,,,its how i hear so I know what people are saying.) I never made it to Austin or San Antonio ...Dallas, Houston-Fort Worth, Galveston, Sillsbee and Beaumont area. When I was leaving I went to a dinner party at a small ranch (30 acres). When leaving I saw the biggest Big Dipper I've ever seen and commented to the owner ... "We have one of those in Connecticut too ... but its not that big !" and he replied in a Texas drawl "Son, This is Texas ... everything is bigger in Texas ! "

That's crazy - I pick up accents the same. Moved to the south 17 years ago from Michigan and went from sounding like a goose to sounding like a farmer in less than a year. Personal best was during our honeymoon, when my wife and I spent a few days in Penzance. It only took an hour or 2 of pints for me to have "Roight, then, another point, please, when you can," rolling out of my mouth like a fatman down a hill.

It's interesting you say it's "how you hear." I work with farmers in rural Tennessee and some of them have such a thick accent, I find that listening takes on a new dimension in where I get lost if I listen too closely. I have to understand where people are going, not just the words they say. Wouldn't you know it, I start skipping syllables here and adding syllables there as naturally as can be right along with them. I can't speak the Queen's Englishe to a cattle man in Giles or Macon County.

Whoops. Off topic. Bacon. Bacon and mayonnaise. Bacon.

• Love
Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
That's crazy - I pick up accents the same. Moved to the south 17 years ago from Michigan and went from sounding like a goose to sounding like a farmer in less than a year. Personal best was during our honeymoon, when my wife and I spent a few days in Penzance. It only took an hour or 2 of pints for me to have "Roight, then, another point, please, when you can," rolling out of my mouth like a fatman down a hill.

It's interesting you say it's "how you hear." I work with farmers in rural Tennessee and some of them have such a thick accent, I find that listening takes on a new dimension in where I get lost if I listen too closely. I have to understand where people are going, not just the words they say. Wouldn't you know it, I start skipping syllables here and adding syllables there as naturally as can be right along with them. I can't speak the Queen's Englishe to a cattle man in Giles or Macon County.

Whoops. Off topic. Bacon. Bacon and mayonnaise. Bacon.
So clearly the cause is Bacon and not hearing or speech ! Glad we figured that out and can move on ...another problem solved ! ;):ROFLMAO:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I love a good club sandwich, but I rarely order them because they're usually crappy at most places. I like BLTs but I don't think I've ever ordered one from an actual restaurant, usually they're an at home thing.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
BLT, because it is the working man's sandwich. Listen, has anyone ever made a real club sandwich, including the superfluous piece of bread in the middle? I reckon few have! But a BLT is something every son from a working class family will learn from their father. That alone puts the BLT over.

Hell, everyone here is so particular about the mayo (which is important!), but no one talking about the actual ingredients. I'm talking thickcut pepper bacon fried so the sides and ends are crispy but just a little bit of give throughout. Fresh lettuce if you can get it. Put it on thick Texas toast. I didn't know how good I had it when it came to the tomatoes! My dad would grow these beefmaster tomatoes, and they set a BLT off, I swear. Slice 'em up thick and put a little salt on them. Can't lose.