PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Nice magnum.

Here's a W.C. Carrington that has the 'WHC' stamp, and the assurance that their pipes are hallmarked, yet it has no date hallmark. My assumption is that it is pre-1891, as they were definitely date-hallmarking their Chester pipes by then - see 1891 W.H. Carrington bog oak below (shown with amber p-lip stem I plan on having fitted to it, as slit-bit bone tenon stem is 1920's, not original to pipe).

Yc7c59m.jpg

okkwiWB.jpg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Nice magnum.

Here's a W.C. Carrington that has the 'WHC' stamp, and the assurance that their pipes are hallmarked, yet it has no date hallmark. My assumption is that it is pre-1891, as they were definitely date-hallmarking their Chester pipes by then - see 1891 W.H. Carrington bog oak below (shown with amber p-lip stem I plan on having fitted to it, as slit-bit bone tenon stem is 1920's, not original to pipe).

Yc7c59m.jpg

okkwiWB.jpg
That Carrington Bog Oak is outstanding!

Reactions: Puff nstuff

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That Carrington Bog Oak is outstanding!
Thanks. It was a stunning surprise when I spotted it on ebay, as I have only ever seen the standard billiard shapes. It had cracks on both ends of the bowl, but they closed up perfectly. Danish Oil and B&A balm brought it back to life.

I have had the amber p-lip stem waiting for a pipe for several years, so this is going to really be great when completed.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I've always been on the lookout for a Churchill's of Norwich pipe. I bought my first ever pipe from them, but it was an unbranded basket pipe. It was a wonderful, old-fashioned tobacconist that sadly closed down after I left Norwich to go to university. The indoor smoking ban combined with a lease renewal put a stop to it. Keith Garrard (who may have even been the chap I bought my pipe from) sadly passed away a couple of years later, and I never met him. He was a well-loved member of the Pipe Club of Norfolk and some UK members here may have met him at previous UK Pipe Shows and competitions.

On a side note, the name of the shop had nothing to do with Winston Churchill. It was so named simply because it was at the bottom of a hill, opposite a church.

Churchill's.jpg

Keith on the final day:
churchill's 2.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice magnum.

Yc7c59m.jpg

okkwiWB.jpg
Absolutely stunning pipes 🤩

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
You sods. Just as I thought I was content, this. Now I have to start searching for a Fribourg & Treyer pipe.

I visited their quaint bow-fronted shop in Haymarket in the 1970s and bought a packet of their deluxe king size filter cigarettes, made with pinstripe paper, which came in a grey hinged cardboard packet. Also a little tube of mentholated snuff. The cigarettes were strong and to this day, the only ones to have given me a whitey - stronger than the old Capstan Full Strength, and that's saying something. Happy days!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are a couple I own and I have probably got others. The meerschaum is sort of self explanatory and I have no idea how old it is as I don't really smoke it that often. The Brit wood pipe is from Inderwicks and it says Carnaby Street on the shank along with the letters 'R 2' and was purchased by me in 1985/86.

thumbnail-4.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Here are a couple I own and I have probably got others. The meerschaum is sort of self explanatory and I have no idea how old it is as I don't really smoke it that often. The Brit wood pipe is from Inderwicks and it says Carnaby Street on the shank along with the letters 'R 2' and was purchased by me in 1985/86.

View attachment 307086View attachment 307087
I love that Weingott meer! I used to walk past their old shop quite often while working in London.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG