Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 31, 2024
Los Angeles
I would love to get into a more affordable collection of bulk blends. I have checked the regular sites, seems to be about 40$ for 16 oz in most cases….

I have ordered a few 7 oz Tins from cigarbid…. But I’m wondering if there are any other magical portals around to find quality bulk mixes for an affordable price. Starving artist life. Love you guys, happy piping

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I mainly smoke bulk. I don't know what price range you're looking for. But honestly that's not a bad price for a full lb of tobacco. Best bet is to watch a site like smoking pipes and wait for their sales they love to have right after I buy a bunch of tobacco. One of the sales they do on occasion (someone else probably knows the schedule) is 15% off of bulk either storewide or brand. Also what styles do you like in blends?

Mar 31, 2024
Los Angeles
not sure best place to ask but you got any music to link to that you made? I bet it won't surprise you but we got a few musicians on the forum.
Hello friend! Sorry I just joined here…. Still figuring out the UI…. My music is on Spotify, Apple… all that… my artist name is Grimmtech :D heavy rave stuff… also a hidden guitar song there

I love English blends… and solid vaper, notably luxury bullseye flake… with a bit of age… two years does wonders !

Reactions: Leomania
Mar 31, 2024
Los Angeles
It's a matter of perspective, isn't it? A smoker in pretty much any first world country would throw their shoulder out getting their wallet out to pay $40/lb!

Word on the street is that Buoy tobacco, red or yellow, is pretty good at around $16/lb...lol!
16 lb sounds like a solid plan… especially with some good admixtures lying around !

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hello friend! Sorry I just joined here…. Still figuring out the UI…. My music is on Spotify, Apple… all that… my artist name is Grimmtech :D heavy rave stuff… also a hidden guitar song there

I love English blends… and solid vaper, notably luxury bullseye flake… with a bit of age… two years does wonders !
cool will check it out sometime soon. I suspected it might be Grimmtech but didn't want to assume anything.

Reactions: Grimmtech music

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m just now finding out what I really prefer, tobak-wise and 2oz purchases of a wide range of samples of the major genres of bulk blends helped that process greatly.
I’m now at the point where I’m going “deeper” on what I smoke most frequently.
I’m not to where I’m buying poundage at a go, and unfortunately a few of my favorites only come in 50g tins. What I am doing is grabbing what I can easily afford of tins when they’re on sale (petersons tins were just 20% off at one retailer) and balancing that with 4/8/16oz purchases of others which is always justifiable by free shipping. Even the popular Gawith drops aren’t ungodly expensive when bought 1/2-1lb at a go, and 8oz tins of others (GLP for example) aren’t bad when on sale. But a couple half pound bags of Sutliff/C&D/macB bulks every once in a while will not put most folks in the poorhouse and will bulk up one’s stock pretty quickly.

If you’re talking bags of RYO types marketed as “pipe tobacco”, I’ve no input as life is too short…

Mar 31, 2024
Los Angeles
cool will check it out sometime soon. I suspected it might be Grimmtech but didn't want to assume anything.
Yeah let me know what you think!!! I sit in my garden and rock out to it with a pipe haha…. May sound pretentious, but I’m not in it for fame, I just make what I like, and it sounds good to me! :D bless thank you, happy piping

Mar 31, 2024
Los Angeles
I’m just now finding out what I really prefer, tobak-wise and 2oz purchases of a wide range of samples of the major genres of bulk blends helped that process greatly.
I’m now at the point where I’m going “deeper” on what I smoke most frequently.
I’m not to where I’m buying poundage at a go, and unfortunately a few of my favorites only come in 50g tins. What I am doing is grabbing what I can easily afford of tins when they’re on sale (petersons tins were just 20% off at one retailer) and balancing that with 4/8/16oz purchases of others which is always justifiable by free shipping. Even the popular Gawith drops aren’t ungodly expensive when bought 1/2-1lb at a go, and 8oz tins of others (GLP for example) aren’t bad when on sale. But a couple half pound bags of Sutliff/C&D/macB bulks every once in a while will not put most folks in the poorhouse and will bulk up one’s stock pretty quickly.

If you’re talking bags of RYO types marketed as “pipe tobacco”, I’ve no input as life is too short…
amazing report, thank you for the info!!
I don’t think I will ever smoke RYO tobacco blends again… dark times lol

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yeah let me know what you think!!! I sit in my garden and rock out to it with a pipe haha…. May sound pretentious, but I’m not in it for fame, I just make what I like, and it sounds good to me! :D bless thank you, happy piping
I get it.. My visual art is about pleasing me and if you enjoy it or I make any money that's nice.
Oh I need to put up my recent art, I super lazy about things like that.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
There is a price point for everyone at smokingpipes.com. cup o joes and tobaccopipes.com are owned by the same folks Sutliff/MacBaren. You've got Watch City Cigar which is a bit north of me and the local folks in my home state 4noggins. You gotta shop around and it goes by the tobacco type and producer too. Sutliff 507c is less than 40 a pound when you buy 5 lbs at either watch City or smokingpipes. Smoking pipes is not a cheap hobby but can be reasonable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Be patient, wait for sales and pricing mistakes. I've put away some very good bulks for cheap thanks to the chaotic mismanagement over at P&C/CI. Also, jarred bulks don't usually fetch good prices here on PipesMagazine, especially if there's not much age on them and you may find some deals here. But you do need to be a bit obsessive about watching the sites, checking prices, and be ready to jump when deals hit.

Pipe tobacco, like everything else, has skyrocketed in price. It wasn't long ago (pre-COVID government economic sabotage) that the most you would pay for a pound of absolute top-shelf bulk was $50. Even Germain/Esoterica was only $70. Many members here will tell you about paying half that, or less, in their pipe smoking lifetime. It will only continue to rise. I foresee $100/lb in the next few years. So, if you really see yourself enjoying a pipe in the future, now is the time to buy. Well, actually, yesterday, last week, month, year, decade was the time to buy, but......

EDIT: I should add that if there is a pipe club near you, join it and participate. At our club, people give away stuff all the time. A member just gave away five or six tins of the Tsuge blends because he didn't care for them. If there isn't a pipe club near you, then start one!

Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Be patient, wait for sales and pricing mistakes. I've put away some very good bulks for cheap thanks to the chaotic mismanagement over at P&C/CI. Also, jarred bulks don't usually fetch good prices here on PipesMagazine, especially if there's not much age on them and you may find some deals here. But you do need to be a bit obsessive about watching the sites, checking prices, and be ready to jump when deals hit.

Pipe tobacco, like everything else, has skyrocketed in price. It wasn't long ago (pre-COVID government economic sabotage) that the most you would pay for a pound of absolute top-shelf bulk was $50. Even Germain/Esoterica was only $70. Many members here will tell you about paying half that, or less, in their pipe smoking lifetime. It will only continue to rise. I foresee $100/lb in the next few years. So, if you really see yourself enjoying a pipe in the future, now is the time to buy. Well, actually, yesterday, last week, month, year, decade was the time to buy, but......

EDIT: I should add that if there is a pipe club near you, join it and participate. At our club, people give away stuff all the time. A member just gave away five or six tins of the Tsuge blends because he didn't care for them. If there isn't a pipe club near you, then start one!
I wince when I think about how I missed out on the regularity of sub-$50/lb. prices. Hard.

Really highlights how much purchasing power the US dollar has lost. Soon the only uses for it will be tinder or toilet paper. :(