PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Several blends have gotten the axe. This is an incomplete list, there may be others, but these are definitely discontinued:

Picayune
Sigaro
Ramback Balkan
Rimboche AB
Wintergold
Rowland Gold (don’t hold me to the last two, it was hard to hear her over the phone, I may have misheard those two)

I asked about the other Rimboches (SJ, AP), and was told specifically that they are safe, as is Cockstrong and Two-Timer.

It seems the topped blends and blends that contain Oriental or cigar leaf were the main ones getting cut. My observation, not a statement from D&R.

My beloved Picayune ?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
This is he most direct effect of the deeming regulations I've seen, and I'm sorry to see it hit D&R first or at all. I assume that is why these blends are discontinued.
Mark Ryan sold the majority of shares in the company is what I heard. I guess whoever is running the show now decided to cut blends that were either costly to produce or weren’t big sellers. I don’t believe it had anything to do with the deeming regs, but I don’t know that for a fact.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
If you go to the D&R website, their current online catalougue is paired down (ie, things like London Dock are scrubbed, not in your list above), but still has a few listed that are in your list above. They may have simply eliminated a few lines beyond that most recent catalougue revision. I'll miss a couple of those blends for sure.

I'll also add in that I think CB is likely correct about reduction reasons....it appears cuts came on products with topping/condiments leaf primarily. I could be totally wrong, but seems more like a sales-to-margin move as opposed to deeming regs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If you go to the D&R website, their current online catalougue is paired down (ie, things like London Dock are scrubbed, not in your list above), but still has a few listed that are in your list above. They may have simply eliminated a few lines beyond that most recent catalougue revision. I'll miss a couple of those blends for sure.
I saw London Dock in there when I looked earlier today. You’re right though, I think it got the axe as well.

Reactions: BROBS

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Not a big fan of D&R blends I have tried, but this is bad news. I can understand axing blends that didn't sell well or blends that rely on tobaccos no longer reliably available, but axing blends because they're too pricey to produce? Raise prices on those, apologize to your customer base and if they don't sell at the higher price, then axe them. Odds are, they will still sell.

F'n bottom-line-driven, corporate latte-drinking mfers. Nice Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.