PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
They make the fake diamonds look so real now, I bet my wife won't ever notice..

As for quality.. they got rid of Picayune, That drops the quality right there.
Damn, cuz. You buy your wife diamonds!? I showed her the Blood Diamonds movie and ended up with so much more disposable income for tobacco and things. :col:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks, country!

Rimboche AB being canceled does not surprise me due to it containing, "Dark fired tobacco processed with a method like that of Perique".
McC had a couple of blends that used the same tobacco, or something similar. The Royal Cajun series, I think. I'd had one and enjoyed it. I appreciate them trying something new. Hard to ask someone to keep doing something if the labor or sales aren't worth it. Unless we can pull off a Edward G. Robinson's blend type hail Mary, I hope the Picayune lovers get a few more bags/tins/zips.

Good you made the call! I am sorry they are going away.

My Daughters & Ryan favorites so far

1. Rimboche SJ
2. Three Sails - I mostly use it as RYO but it is also good in a pipe

I have also smoked Ramback and hopefully it will become excellent with some age.

Good to know the blends I like stays. However, I do believe Daughters & Ryan offer excellent tobacco and I am really sorry to see some of them go. I would have purchased Picayune in the future but looks like I can’t

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My guess is that the new owners are going to focus more on the RYO market... shame.

I don’t think that a lot of pipe smokers bought into D&R tobacco, but it’s some darn good tobacco at an outstanding price.

Thread title sounds like it should be the name of a George Jones song... ?

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is he most direct effect of the deeming regulations I've seen, and I'm sorry to see it hit D&R first or at all. I assume that is why these blends are discontinued.
really I assumed it was because D&R was kind of a passion project whose statement was connoisseur quality and budget price (paraphrased) and that some of the blends cost more to make then is worth producing if your main concern is making money and not providing a service. Especially since the real money maker for Mark seems to be selling tobacco as a component for other manufactures. Which being a supplier would have cut his costs dramatically or dramatically enough he could turn a profit on a blend at a lower price where as others that have to get their supply else where could not. That's what I think. I doubt deeming regs really have that much of an effect. Especially when one could argue that similar to an existing blend is a pretty freaking wide range of possibilities depending on how it's actually handled. And I assume it's going to be handled in a way that makes the government the most money which would be taking that clause as loosely as is humanly possible.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.