PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
You'd better hurry on the AB. It won't be around long. Btw, it was Mark Ryan's favorite of the three Rimboches.

I love Three Sails. Burns easy being a shag cut, and has a very nice citrus flavor. I've got many pounds of it here. Also, you should try Windsail, which is a very good straight Virginia.

+1 to 3 Sails

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Just loaded a large, red stained, sandblasted, straight bulldog with a wad of PS Luxury Navy flake in the bottom and a wad of Windsail Platinum on the top.
My bag had a good sized chuck of uncut leaf too pretty to toss. I mostly use WSP as cigarette tobacco, shoved into tubes.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
What's gold leaf VA that all the D&R blends seem to have? I've heard of bright, red, and lemon VA but never gold leaf

When you see "gold" in a blend, as in "Two Timer Gold," they mean that particular tobacco contains bright virginia. "Gold" is a rather generic or umbrella name that covers a broad range of different varieties of VA.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Not a big fan of D&R blends I have tried, but this is bad news. I can understand axing blends that didn't sell well or blends that rely on tobaccos no longer reliably available, but axing blends because they're too pricey to produce? Raise prices on those, apologize to your customer base and if they don't sell at the higher price, then axe them. Odds are, they will still sell.

F'n bottom-line-driven, corporate latte-drinking mfers. Nice Prius.
I agree. Especially something as unique as Picayune. It's got enough followers that they could have raised the price, especially given that it wasn't expensive to begin with.

It's got enough followers that they could have raised the price, especially given that it wasn't expensive to begin with.
Nope nope nope... Mark has said many times that this was not a huge mover, and before the FDA stuff you never saw people say much of anything about it. It was definitely a sleeper, as are most of the high nic stuff. Before the FDA you never saw anyone run out of the GH&co high nic stuff like ropes. Most pipe smokers prefer aromatics, and then Englishes, with Virginia blends being the slowest mover besides the high nic stuff. You will see many posts about things like LTF being too high in nic for some.

The mad FDA rush pushed all of the ropes and high nic stuff off of the shelves, and because these were never ever fast movers, these companies were not prepared to restock as quickly as other blends, giving the illusion that there are a lot of high nic smokers.

Honestly, after seeing comments and posts for all of these years, the majority of pipe smokers are rather weak knee'd when it comes to nicotine.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Nope nope nope... Mark has said many times that this was not a huge mover, and before the FDA stuff you never saw people say much of anything about it. It was definitely a sleeper, as are most of the high nic stuff. Before the FDA you never saw anyone run out of the GH&co high nic stuff like ropes. Most pipe smokers prefer aromatics, and then Englishes, with Virginia blends being the slowest mover besides the high nic stuff. You will see many posts about things like LTF being too high in nic for some.

The mad FDA rush pushed all of the ropes and high nic stuff off of the shelves, and because these were never ever fast movers, these companies were not prepared to restock as quickly as other blends, giving the illusion that there are a lot of high nic smokers.

Honestly, after seeing comments and posts for all of these years, the majority of pipe smokers are rather weak knee'd when it comes to nicotine.
I guess I figured it had a larger following than it did. More of an enthusiastic small following then.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

It doesn't seem to have any effect on my knees, but high nic blends raise my heart rate and blood pressure uncomfortably if I'm not careful. I still like them though, they tend to have the best flavours in my experience. Dark burleys and air cured, cigar leaf, dark fired, all tasty stuff.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

That’s because most didn’t smoke or chew before pipes. If you look at people who like the high nic stuff they’ve either been smoking a pipe for years, or came from cigs/cigars/chew which all have a goodly amount of nic.

I quit smoking cigs about 15 years ago now so when I came to the pipe I had next to zero nic tolerance.

although I do laugh a bit at some of the complaints about high nic blends... that has to be a body chemistry thing IMo.

for me air cured burleys get me twisted. Yet I can smoke dark fired almost all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.