PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I've been trying to re-learn how to smoke a pipe. I've been sitting in the patio and using matches to re-light, which is often. I wondered if maybe I could figure out something easier. Here's what I came up with.

image.png

I wrapped some printer paper around a votive candle and secured it with tape. Then I trimmed it to protect the flame from breezes but leave an opening for a re-light. I have a bunch of these wooden stemmed swabs. When I want a re-light I just stick the stem in the flame and light it. Once the pipe is lit, I blow it out and it's ready to be used again.

I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with something like this, but I haven't come across it yet.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I would be careful with getting wax on your pipe/tobacco. Also unless a smokeless candle you may be sucking in some smoke that tastes bad or alters the flavour. I would get a windproof lighter .
It's a good investment for the outdoor pipe smoker!

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I would be careful with getting wax on your pipe/tobacco. Also unless a smokeless candle you may be sucking in some smoke that tastes bad or alters the flavour. I would get a windproof lighter .
It's a good investment for the outdoor pipe smoker!
Thanks, but the pipe never gets close to the candle. I just use the candle to light the wooden swab. I am looking at lighters.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Getting a good even cherry along the entirety of the tobacco surface is key otherwise you'll tunnel. On the first light as the tobacco pops up keep lighting. Get it going until a flame comes out the top or close to it. You'll see all the surface a glow. Also don't touch the flame to tobacco. Just the heat itself from the flame is drawn down. There is a lot of heat in a flame where there is no light. The flame is just superheated air causing carbon to give off light. There is still plenty of heat just outside the glowing flame.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
This is basically what is known as a "spill" in the cigar world. Basically it's like using a match that doesn't have a striking head and must be lit from another source of flame. You might consider a less flammable surrounding for the candle, maybe a tall tin can or something, and I definitely wouldn't use a scented candle.

Reactions: Egg Shen and FLDRD