PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
So I’ve had a lot of lighters over the years… Zippo regular (sick of always having to refuel) zippo Bhutane thing died after 3-4 weeks… disposable bicks and Bhutanes and countless others…. Thinking about dropping some decent coin on a Corona Old Boy…is it worth it? Maybe go down to a Peterson lighter but still that’s pricey too?
Thoughts?

Reactions: ak2000

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'm right there with you. After about 5 years of faithful service, my Kiribi is starting to lose it's "luster".

I love the Kiribis, and mine still lights pretty well (usually on the 2nd or 3rd try). But the most annoying thing is that the entire ignition mechanism on the top of the lighter has started to get some "play" in it and I'm afraid at some point the entire thing is just going to come flying off with the next time I give the striker a good flick.

The cap that covers the gas port also has some play in it and it doesn't matter how tight the screw is.

So I'm thinking of just getting the Corona and calling it a day. I've never heard one negative thing about them with the exception of the "won't light in a breeze" complaint. But that is true of ALL of these types of lighters.

I should have taken my own advice of "Buy Once, Cry Once."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a lot of lighters. Just got a Pipemaster and you have to click it four or five times to get it to light. One Old Boy started leaking fuel, and the other I bought just to look at, and they're useless in the mildest of breezes. My top picks are Bic, Zippo, and Beattie.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'll never buy another Kiribi. I wouldn't take a free one.

I'm perfectly happy with matches and Bics.
I'm starting to understand why. For the money, I would think they wouldn't have some of the issues that they do.

But I do like having a nice lighter. It feels good in the hand, and I like the horizontal flame.

I've spent a hell of a lot more on a single pipe many times over, and I use my lighter every time I smoke one of those pipes.

I don't HAVE to have a nice lighter just like I don't HAVE to have a stable of artisan/handmade pipes. Cobs smoke well and the cost makes them almost disposable.

But my pipesmoking sessions are a relaxing ritual, and the lighter is an integral part of that for me.

I'm sure it's not that way for everyone.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I tried - I really did. I liked the idea of a fancy lighter.
Kiribi ruined it for me.

Anyone want a Kiribi Kabuto?
I'll trade it for a tin of decent tobacco.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Money seems tight from your OP so, Bic would be my choice. Or, save up for a Corona. Everybody needs a bit of bling to flash around.
I wouldn’t say money is tight per se..but that darn mortgage..car payment…kid’s hockey…well life….
But everyone needs something to relax right…I work a stressful job in Corrections and I really like to relax with my pipe in the evening or on a day off in the morning…but frustrated with zippos always having to refill and figure if a Corona does the job well it will make the experience better…but wondering do they actually work well and are they worth it.,.? If I pay the cash and they are just a expense paperweight?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wouldn’t say money is tight per se..but that darn mortgage..car payment…kid’s hockey…well life….
But everyone needs something to relax right…I work a stressful job in Corrections and I really like to relax with my pipe in the evening or on a day off in the morning…but frustrated with zippos always having to refill and figure if a Corona does the job well it will make the experience better…but wondering do they actually work well and are they worth it.,.? If I pay the cash and they are just a expense paperweight?
Kid's hockey? You're lucky you can afford matches. LOL My Son played travel hockey at a fairly high level for 8 years. Expensive doesn't describe it.