PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LuckyGlenn

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
If I had the money, I would have an Old Boy. I don't. My zippo pipe lighter and bics work just fine.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Another important aspect is the butane regardless of which lighter you choose. I switched to the high performance butane several years ago. What a huge difference it makes. I buy Xikar, I think there are other brands.
Agreed.
I bought a pipe lighter from the local B&M. Frustrated, I was just about to give up on it when I gave it a sip of the Lotus "premium" butane. And that's all it took, it's now my favorite lighter.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
The Pipemaster is the he only one I'd consider at this point. Always had my eye on one..

Buddy in pipe club has one and I always pick it up and play with it when he brings it.
Says he's never had a problem in a couple years - and it always lights first try for me.
I guess some are just lemons, or lemony.
Yeah, I would have to agree, about some being lemony. Which is unfortunate because I really like the Pipemaster.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Another important aspect is the butane regardless of which lighter you choose. I switched to the high performance butane several years ago. What a huge difference it makes. I buy Xikar, I think there are other brands.
This is very true. I had more than one lighter get clogged when using Ronson fuel. I find that Colibri works well, except for some reason one lighter works better with Xikar's high altitude formula.

Reactions: Scottmi

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Had mine since 2006, not one frf (failure to fire). Have a Peterson also, since 2015. It too has been flawless. I do use flints the manufacturer recommends, and keep it clean of debris.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
The ST Dupont (tribute) lighters are quite nice, imo.

I got the 007 edition and love it as my "nice" lighter. Heavyweight for sure and I can't really see where the original would be improved upon. I think it was around $30. So not really out on anything if it sucks.

Pretty nice thread about them somewhere here in the forums.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve had an IM Corona Old Boy for about 20 years. I had it serviced last year after one too many drops on the concrete. Still going strong. It was a gift but based on $/year it’s been cheap, even including refurbishment, flints and butane.

I also use a Z-Pipe butane insert in a Zippo shell. It’s 6-7 years old and still works well. It’s better in breezy conditions than the Old Boy.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have an Old Boy and a Peterson. The Peterson is, on paper and probably actually, the better lighter, but the Old Boy’s compact heft has always had a better feel in my little Hobbit paws.

Reactions: Scottmi

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I have a Corona and Kiribi, so far they are both low maintenance, ask me again in a year. I do like them better then disposable lighters. I like my Swan matches the best if it’s not windy, I smoke outside 100% of the time.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I tried - I really did. I liked the idea of a fancy lighter.
Kiribi ruined it for me.

Anyone want a Kiribi Kabuto?
I'll trade it for a tin of decent tobacco.
I have a Kiribi as well, and never use it. The screws always loosen and make it feel like it’ll fall apart. I’d prefer a bic over it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Corona Old Boy is styled after the Dunhill Unique. I have several Unique lighters, of various ages, but find my Corona to be more reliable. That may well be because the Corona was bought new, and the Uniques were used, but regardless, the Corona Old Boy has been spot-on perfect for me for ten years.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I wouldn’t say money is tight per se..but that darn mortgage..car payment…kid’s hockey…well life….
But everyone needs something to relax right…I work a stressful job in Corrections and I really like to relax with my pipe in the evening or on a day off in the morning…but frustrated with zippos always having to refill and figure if a Corona does the job well it will make the experience better…but wondering do they actually work well and are they worth it.,.? If I pay the cash and they are just a expense paperweight?
I have an Old Boy i really like it, 75% of the time grab a cheap chinese Scripto knockoff from Amazon, like $12 for a "block of 24" you know display stand. They make fire, that's all i need them to do. If you wanna splurge a little bit to be happy / relax time invest in a couple tins of tobacco you wouldn't normally spend the money on and get more enjoyment out of the investment. YMMV

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My IM Corona "Old Boy" (Arabesque silver) came in today and the quality is substantially higher than my Kiribi. I haven't filled it or used it yet, but I'm sure it will work fine functionally.

Despite several drops, the Kiribi still works just fine, but to me, it was disappointing for an $80 lighter as far as build quality—the top part has been loose since day 1, and you can see where the cut-out in the lift arm isn't quite right or the arm itself and the lid still rubs on the flint tube.

Like, if you want to be luxury, then be luxury. Cheap "luxury" doesn't work when much cheaper non-luxury has better build quality.

There's a reason the IM Coronas cost more. Should have gone with an Old Boy to begin with. Luxury necessary? Not at all, that's why it's called luxury.
PXL_20230729_222549343.jpgPXL_20230729_224436403.jpgPXL_20230729_224507331.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Like, if you want to be luxury, then be luxury. Cheap "luxury" doesn't work when much cheaper non-luxury has better build quality.
Considering that the Old Boy is a knockoff, would that not make it cheap luxury comparatively speaking?

Dunhill
Screenshot_20230729-201632_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Akoni808

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Considering that the Old Boy is a knockoff, would that not make it cheap luxury comparatively speaking?

Not necessarily. Something can be a knock-off and still be luxury (the definition of luxury doesn't preclude knockoffs). Luxury just means sumptuous, indulgent, non-essential, expensive and hard-to-obtain. Just because it's not "the original" or is less expensive doesn't mean it's not still "luxury".

Luxury by definition doesn't technically even require quality, but quality is often expected. I mean, would anyone pay luxury prices for a Beemer with real wood dash interiors and real leather seats if it was poorly made, rather than a "knock-off" for less with veneered engineered wood and bonded leather seats if it was well made? In other words, luxury is essentially worthless without a certain level of quality.

I suppose Kiribi is still technically luxury by definition. Though yes, the Dunhill would be more luxurious than the Old Boy (dictated by price and prestige at least). But still all luxuries when a Bic costs $1-2 and does the same basic job, just in a much less fancy look.