PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Just seen a chef on telly say that Curry half and half is a Welsh thing, but the Welsh don't realise that the dish is unique to them.

As a Welshman and a fan of Chicken curry half and half (half chips, half rice), I have to admit that I thought it was consumed everywhere.

So I just want to ask the members here, is the chef correct, is it pretty much unique to Wales?
If so. WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE? IT'S LUSH. :)

@mawnansmiff Jay, you must eat it surely

1712319710811.png

I try to avoid anything with curry in the name. about 20 years ago, they built an Indian Cultural Center in our town, and they offered all of these cool classes. I signed up for yoga and a cooking class. I had never had Indian food up to that point, but I learned quickly that my stomach can't handle dishes loaded with spices. Those of us that took the cooking class just before the yoga class had to stop and run (and I mean run) from the yoga class to the bathroom.
Your french fries look good, but I will have to pass on the curry. I bet it is tasty though... just a catalyst for opening every valve in my digestive system. It's probably a food that you have to eat at a young age to acquaint your system to accepting that much herbs and spices in a gravy.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
The photo is just a random
example of the dish that I found on the internet.
But it looks nice though.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yeah, it looks like part of an early sales pitch to get UK folks eathing indian food. Its probably good but Id likely stick with rice. Indian foods tend to be heavy enough.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I love English i mean Indian food, like most Americans Chicken Tikka Masala rice and naan.
The title is a bit of a let down, like the first time i went to Tim Hortons and learned a Double Double was just a coffee with 2 shots of cream and 2 sugars.

Reactions: sablebrush52

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Looks like a dish concocted by take out places.

I love Indian food but never thought to use fries for the starch instead of rice.

Gives me an idea for sprinkling fries straight out of the oil with some typical Indian spices and salt.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’ve never seen that in my life. It’s not served in any Indian restaurants in the states that I’ve ever been to.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Interesting. Perhaps it really is a Welsh thing. I had no idea.

Looks like next time I leave Wales, if I want curry I will be limited to rice. Or chips. But not both. :(

Rescue me Jay, please tell me they do curry half and half in Cornish pubs?

1712393023686.png

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
@mawnansmiff Jay, you must eat it surely
Well, curry & chips yes, very nice (as is chips & gravy) but chips, curry and rice....nah, I can't imagine I'd go for that and I'm afraid I've never noticed it advertised.

However, my local pub (Red Lion) once had on the menu 'Cheesy Chips With Gravy or Curry' but I never tried it.

For some reason the only chips & curry I've had was with Chinese curry, I've never had Indian curry with chips though I'm sure that might work too.

It also helps if the chips are nice & crispy, soggy chips is a big no no.

Jay.