PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Chicken tikka masala isn't English, it's Scottish in origin, Glasgow to be precise.

I'm a huge lamb korma fan (with garlic & coriander naan breads of course) and have started to make my own again after a few years hiatus.

Jay.
For those of you that doubted Jay which i would never do.

Ali Ahmed Aslam is said to have invented chicken tikka masala at his Glasgow restaurant in the 1970s. With its chunks of spiced chicken surrounded by a rich tomato and yogurt-based sauce, chicken tikka masala is one of the UK's most beloved dishes.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Last edited:
Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Wales Online on arf’narf: Gregg Wallace: Why curry arf'n'arf is the ultimate answer to food snobs - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/gregg-wallace-curry-arfnarf-ultimate-2506164

Three decades ago as I visited Wales they asked me to serve chips instead of rice to an Indian chicken curry. That was fairly new to me. I don’t remember if they offered me arfnarf as well. But hey best of both worlds.
While traveling for work we found a little Indian place in Amsterdam that had amazing food, they offered rice, then a few nights later in Dublin on Temple Bar Street (I call this out because if find yourself there I highly recommend this place .. at least 7 yrs ago) they offered their dishes with rice or "chips" i actually went with rice, but as there are so many curry dishes with hunks of potatoes it only makes sense that they would work well together. I love i have a pic of this place on my phone lol

IMG_2855.jpeg

Just seen a chef on telly say that Curry half and half is a Welsh thing, but the Welsh don't realise that the dish is unique to them.

As a Welshman and a fan of Chicken curry half and half (half chips, half rice), I have to admit that I thought it was consumed everywhere.

So I just want to ask the members here, is the chef correct, is it pretty much unique to Wales?
If so. WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE? IT'S LUSH. :)

@mawnansmiff Jay, you must eat it surely

View attachment 300902
Aahhhh, so that’s what the guy in Benidorm meant. “Rice AND chips tonight!” 😂😂

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Curry and me are not a marriage made in heaven. I've eaten before but never again.
I love curry. I don't think I would cope if I couldn't eat curry. It is morale boosting food.
I have to have curry sauce with my takeaway chips. Chinese take away with chicken curry is probably my favourite meal. I also quite like Indian curries up to about Madras level in heat.
I'm feeling hungry now just writing this post.
Well this thread has been quite interesting and educational. I had no idea that Wales was a world leader in such a delicious and relatively unknown delicacy.
The next time I have a meal out and order chicken curry half and half, I'll be thinking of you all.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
For those of you that doubted Jay which i would never do.

Ali Ahmed Aslam is said to have invented chicken tikka masala at his Glasgow restaurant in the 1970s. With its chunks of spiced chicken surrounded by a rich tomato and yogurt-based sauce, chicken tikka masala is one of the UK's most beloved dishes.
I read a few years ago that chicken tikka masala has overtaken fish and chips as Britain’s favourite meal

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interestingly in Sydney a lot of “Indian” eateries and takeaways are run by Pakistanis and Nepalese rather than Indians
The explanation is that “Indian” is more readily accepted than “Pakistani or Nepalese” cuisine

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Just seen a chef on telly say that Curry half and half is a Welsh thing, but the Welsh don't realise that the dish is unique to them.

As a Welshman and a fan of Chicken Royal Oak(half chips, half rice), I have to admit that I thought it was consumed everywhere.

So I just want to ask the members here, is the chef correct, is it pretty much unique to Wales?
If so. WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE? IT'S LUSH. :)

@mawnansmiff Jay, you must eat it surely

View attachment 300902
Put it this way: poor Louis Rees-Zammit is not going to find curry half and half in Kansas City.