PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I have been trying many different types of tobaccos and blends in my first few months of pipe smoking. I recently received some DFK. Smoked by itself it is definitely a stout tobacco. I have read where it can be also used as a condiment for blends. What types of tobaccos does DFK compliment?
DFK can also be added to Virginia/Periques and Orientals

Reactions: RobNYC

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
What would you say is the biggest difference in US compared to African DFK?
For me the real Kentucky stuff tastes like it was smoked with the same woods they use to smoke ribs in the south. The African version reminds me of a campfire—in a good way. I find the African is smoother when smoked straight, but I enjoy smoking real Kentucky dark fired straight from time to time though it’s a bit rougher on my mouth.

Sep 7, 2023
For me the real Kentucky stuff tastes like it was smoked with the same woods they use to smoke ribs in the south. The African version reminds me of a campfire—in a good way. I find the African is smoother when smoked straight, but I enjoy smoking real Kentucky dark fired straight from time to time though it’s a bit rougher on my mouth.
I've definitely picked up on that BBQ smell of the tobacco

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Ours is primarily grown and sold for chewing tobacco.
Yes.
I bought 5 pounds off a Kentucky farmer some years back and he said his crop goes for chew.
I associate DFK with the smell of chew and spit cups from my time in Texas. After that, it was Drum rolling tobacco from the Netherlands. I was surprised they smell the same. I don't learn the name DFK until I got into pipe smoking and learned that it was a component of Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian.

I wonder if GH Kendal Kentucky is American or African DFK?

Reactions: Chasing Embers