PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Made me think of a fried clam sandwich. Yummy!

Chee' buggy!? Onion salt if no onions. Ketchup for the heathen! (I realize I've been using Heinz catsup since childhood.) At a restaurant with a $20 (!!) burger in front of me, I will take a bite before adding anything.

At home, bacon, cheddar cheese, toasted bun is usual. Sautéed or grilled onions. Oh, yeah, and Catchup! (There are probably more spellings.)

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
H aha, I was going to say something similar, ha ha. But, they work better on a poboy. On a burger, if you tried to pile them up as high as the OP pics, they'd just squish out the sides.
Fried oysters are a whole nuther ballgame. But yeah, raw oysters - even five or six - on a burger, would be untenable, and actually it kind of grosses me out thinking about eating such a thing, especially if they were piled on a burger patty.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Craig Claiborne, the famous NY Times food writer of years ago had a great technique for doing burgers.
You get a nice 80/20 ground chuck. Don't work the meat too much. Heat a cast iron pan and cover the bottom with kosher salt. Heat the pan until it's really smoking hard. Then put in the burgers. Incredible char can be obtained on both sides. Afew minutes an each side will give you a medium rare burger- cook it longer if you wish. Cheeese will melt beautifully. Creates a lot of smoke so you need a real vent over the stove. If you have a grill with a burner you can do it outside without causing the smoke detector in the kitchen to go crazy. Deelish.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Cheese is more important than bacon but both is great. I like the works. Ketsup, mustard, jalapeño peppers and mayo. I will have onion if its not nighttime. Raw onions sometimes give me indigestion. Carmelized onions are good but I usually wont mess with making them.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
American cheese is the standard and rarely is another cheese appropriate due to the flavor and melting capabilities.

Bacon is a decent topping. The picture posted looks like the Tony's BLT in Birch Run, Michigan, with 1 pound of bacon per sandwich.

Neither burger pictured speaks to me, since I've come to "less is more" in my burger life.

Mayo is the preferred condiment. And some type of onion (raw, grilled, sautéed, caramelized) is virtually a must.

Mustard, if the profile fits. Ketchup for backyard burgers or dressed up for when Michael Symon's original Lolita burger fits the bill.

And the Oklahoma fried onion burger is a game changer. Simple to the point where the sum is better than the parts. I rarely deviate from this style in the kitchen at home (and I created the burger of the day for about 1.5 years at a tapas restaurant, so I have "chops").
You obviously don’t live in Wisconsin. There are many higher quality cheeses to use over that substance they call “American cheese”.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
As a Wisconsinite I’ll take quality cheese over bacon any day. But that “cheese” in the picture is garbage lol. Havarti, Gouda, Muenster…yeah that’s my jam. Bacon I can take or leave.

Now how about this: grilled cheese sandwich. Sourdough for the bread. Butter on the outside, Mayo on the inside, Muenster cheese and bacon.

Now I’m hungry

Reactions: jpmcwjr

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
As a Wisconsinite I’ll take quality cheese over bacon any day. But that “cheese” in the picture is garbage lol. Havarti, Gouda, Muenster…yeah that’s my jam. Bacon I can take or leave.

Now how about this: grilled cheese sandwich. Sourdough for the bread. Butter on the outside, Mayo on the inside, Muenster cheese and bacon.

Now I’m hungry

I'm not a baby cow, goat, etc., so I can leave cheese, milk and other dairy products. I rarely eat cheese on a burger as I feel it just covers up flavor, rather than adding any.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'm not a baby cow, goat, etc., so I can leave cheese, milk and other dairy products. I rarely eat cheese on a burger as I feel it just covers up flavor, rather than adding any.
I can see that. But if I’m looking for pure beef flavor then I’m going with a straight up steak!

Aaaand after having a burger for dinner I’m now hungry for a steak…

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I can see that. But if I’m looking for pure beef flavor then I’m going with a straight up steak!

Aaaand after having a burger for dinner I’m now hungry for a steak…
Have you ever bought Wagyu beef and made your own burger? Pure wonderful beef flavor, and on a fresh brioche bun I often put nothing else - just beef and bun.

The worse the meat, the more I add to the burger. At restaurants that cook medium or more, I might order everything they offer, like the Chili's Trip. It tastes fine, but it's not a great burger.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Bacon all day every day. I could eat bacon with every meal and never complain. I damn near already do this.
I took my softball team to Waffle House back around 1990, for the all you can eat deal they used to offer. One guy ate nothing but bacon - just kept ordering more sides. He got sick and blamed it on something else. Bacon is great though.

• Haha
Reactions: MidnightPuff

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
American cheese is the standard and rarely is another cheese appropriate due to the flavor and melting capabilities.

Bacon is a decent topping. The picture posted looks like the Tony's BLT in Birch Run, Michigan, with 1 pound of bacon per sandwich.

Neither burger pictured speaks to me, since I've come to "less is more" in my burger life.

Mayo is the preferred condiment. And some type of onion (raw, grilled, sautéed, caramelized) is virtually a must.

Mustard, if the profile fits. Ketchup for backyard burgers or dressed up for when Michael Symon's original Lolita burger fits the bill.

And the Oklahoma fried onion burger is a game changer. Simple to the point where the sum is better than the parts. I rarely deviate from this style in the kitchen at home (and I created the burger of the day for about 1.5 years at a tapas restaurant, so I have "chops").
Thank you for informing me about Tony's. This sounds like my dream come true.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant