PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For whatever reason, I can't stand the arrogant little prick. But as you say, he's an excellent actor and I have been entertained by most all of his movies. Even going back to "Every now and then, you just have to say WTF."

But that's just the thing, he is not an excellent actor. He is a person who is likeable on screen but it's always just him being Tom Cruise. Gary Oldman, Johnny Depp, Daniel Day-Lewis are excellent actors who become the characters they are playing. Tom Cruise doesn't have the skills to do that. Most popular actors don't. Bruce Willis is always Bruce Willis. Samuel L. Jackson is Samuel L. Jackson (would we want it any other way with him? Ok, Except for in the Kingsman where he played a lisping, genocidal millionaire who doesn't like the sight of blood. That was freaking hysterical.) My guess is this why studios find likable, bankable people rather than truly skilled actors.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
@hauntedmyst i missed a good MoFo in that movie, so we disregard that role. Was one of his worst, next to being Nick Fury.

Watched the first 3 episodes and have watched the movies before. I liked the series more, but well have to see how it develops. Acting is decent for a series that can be bingewatched, but better than Tom Cruise did, no. I'm generally not a Tom Cruise fan, but his Reacher roles where on the better side of acting for me.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
But that's just the thing, he is not an excellent actor. He is a person who is likeable on screen but it's always just him being Tom Cruise. Gary Oldman, Johnny Depp, Daniel Day-Lewis are excellent actors who become the characters they are playing. Tom Cruise doesn't have the skills to do that. Most popular actors don't. Bruce Willis is always Bruce Willis. Samuel L. Jackson is Samuel L. Jackson (would we want it any other way with him? Ok, Except for in the Kingsman where he played a lisping, genocidal millionaire who doesn't like the sight of blood. That was freaking hysterical.) My guess is this why studios find likable, bankable people rather than truly skilled actors.
Clearly you missed All The Right Moves !

(At least I think he was in it, I know Lea Thompson was, lol).

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
For those unaware, Reacher is a new series that will be introduced on Prime Feb 4. Based upon the series of novels written by Lee Child, one of my favorites. The Reacher character in the novel is 6'5" and 250 lbs which made the two Reacher movies starring that shrimp Cruise rather silly. The character playing Reacher in the soon to be released Prime creation looks like he's a closer fit to the book character.

To make this pipe related, I'm certain I'll be smoking multiple bowls while binge watching the series.
M , you talking about another reacherround??!!
Just stop it. ?