PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fred_Scott

Lurker
Oct 27, 2023
Hey everyone

I've been delving into the history of pipe shapes. Its truly amazing how they have transformed over time. I started off with a Billiard shape, which seemed like a choice, for a beginner. However recently I stumbled upon a book on pipes. Let me tell you the shapes they had back then were mind blowing!

It's intriguing how each era had its vibe. During times it was about those fancy and elaborate designs.. As we moved into the century things became sleeker and more modern looking. I can't. Wonder if these changes were driven by fashion trends or perhaps even influenced by changes in smoking habits.

This got me pondering my collection. It all began with that Billiard shape then I added a Bulldog because of its appeal.. Lately I've developed a fondness for the Dublin shape. It's fascinating to witness how our personal preferences evolve alongside the history of pipe shapes.

Now let me turn the spotlight on you guys! What is your favorite pipe shape and why? Do any of you have pipes that boast histories or captivating stories behind them?

Just some musings, about pipes. Can't wait to hear from all of you!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
1/8 - 1/2 bent Dublins and Billiards. There are many others I like the look of as well as the feel in my hand but I'm an inveterate clencher and I prefer to minimize weight relative to capacity and both the practicality for clenching & appearance of a bent.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For straight pipes I like small Billiards/Dublins/Chimneys. A Liverpool or Lovat shank to stem ratio. I like tapered and saddle stems equally.

For bent pipes I prefer at least half bent, 3/4 bent, and full bents. Billiards, dublins, brandies, and eggs. They can be moderate to extra tall in height.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Bents such as the bent billiard Savinelli 614 or Barontini Gran Duc 203; bent egg like an Olaf 4873 for its swan neck similarity, Hungarian like Savinelli 620 or bent sitters/pokers. They are comfortable hangers.

Reactions: Derby

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I like just about any shape, but my favorites are those that combine masculinity and voluptuousness. Think of the Ser Jacopo pipes made during Giancarlo Guidi's lifetime, or S. Bang's curvier shapes. But if you look at my accumulation of pipes, you'd probably never know that.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Classic straight billiards are my favorite, but every now-and-then a bent shape will really catch my eyes. I prefer my pipes to look like pipes. I don't get into the more wild or intricut designs.

Reactions: shrocks

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My favorite shapes are rather traditional, but most favorite is the Apple, especially when paired with a shank that's on the less-chunky side. Second favorite shape might be prince. I also like billiards.

I like 1/4 bent most, straight next.

It's mostly aesthetics as to why, but I also find prince and 1/4 type bent to be more comfortable/natural (I'm a holder, not a clencher), points the choof hole more straight at my throat when lazily holding the bowl just below chin level when slouching in a comfy chair, leaned back, deep in thought like a Mycroft Holmes, but sexier. But the slight bends are still 95% aesthetics for me.

I don't have any pipes with captivating stories.

Fred_Scott

Lurker
Oct 27, 2023
It's really wonderful to witness the range of preferences and stories, behind the pipe shapes in our community. I'm genuinely fascinated by the choices ranging from the timeless billiard to more unconventional designs like volcanoes and skulls. Its truly captivating how each shape not showcases style but also connects us to the rich history and evolution of pipe smoking. The anecdotes, such as the pipe, with a lapis lazuli mortise bring an special touch to our collections. Lately I've been gravitating more towards shapes. Hearing about your diverse tastes might just inspire me to delve into more adventurous designs! Please continue sharing your stories and preferences; they are what make this community so extraordinary.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I like many different shapes as well as textures. I prefer bent pipes. While I like the look of some straight pipes I just find them a little more awkward feeling. A nice bent pipe just feels good. Ive not one pipe that gurgles so I just stick with what feels comfortable

Fred_Scott

Lurker
Oct 27, 2023
I completely understand what you're saying about favoring pipes, for comfort. It's fascinating how the shape of a pipe can impact not its appearance but the overall smoking experience. Like you I've noticed that bent pipes offer an advantage especially during longer smoking sessions. It really comes down to what feels comfortable in your hand and of course on your lips. Your preference for pipes over ones, for the sake of comfort serves as a great reminder of how personal and subjective pipe smoking can be. Keep enjoying what suits you best!
I like many different shapes as well as textures. I prefer bent pipes. While I like the look of some straight pipes I just find them a little more awkward feeling. A nice bent pipe just feels good. Ive not one pipe that gurgles so I just stick with what feels comfortable

Reactions: Derby

Fred_Scott

Lurker
Oct 27, 2023
Volcanoes, blowfish, acorns, eggs, and skulls.

No real reason other than personal preference.

Purchased after its carver's passing, this one has a mortise of lapis lazuli. The artisan to my knowledge never did any other stone work and I've often wondered what possessed him to take that route.

View attachment 263190
View attachment 263191
Your description of the lapis lazuli mortise and tenon pipe is absolutely captivating. It's truly remarkable how long after the carver has departed their creation continues to captivate and inspire. It serves as a reminder that each pipe's more, than a smoking accessory; it's a genuine masterpiece that carries its own narrative and sense of intrigue. Thank you much for sharing your insights and enhancing our conversation, with your experiences!