PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hey everyone

I've been delving into the history of pipe shapes. Its truly amazing how they have transformed over time. I started off with a Billiard shape, which seemed like a choice, for a beginner. However recently I stumbled upon a book on pipes. Let me tell you the shapes they had back then were mind blowing!

It's intriguing how each era had its vibe. During times it was about those fancy and elaborate designs.. As we moved into the century things became sleeker and more modern looking. I can't. Wonder if these changes were driven by fashion trends or perhaps even influenced by changes in smoking habits.

This got me pondering my collection. It all began with that Billiard shape then I added a Bulldog because of its appeal.. Lately I've developed a fondness for the Dublin shape. It's fascinating to witness how our personal preferences evolve alongside the history of pipe shapes.

Now let me turn the spotlight on you guys! What is your favorite pipe shape and why? Do any of you have pipes that boast histories or captivating stories behind them?

Just some musings, about pipes. Can't wait to hear from all of you!

The Marxman freehand.

IMG_5412.jpeg

In 1938 Robert Marx created and sold what then was the world’s most expensive factory briar pipe for $25.

The only guidelines were it had to be made of the highest grade of Algerian plateaux briar with a 14k gold band and of clench-able, portable size.

50 years later he carved 80 more, that showed the plateaux and used commercial bayonet mount stems.

IMG_5417.jpeg

These are the ultimate briar pipes to smoke.

No consideration was made for style.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Functionally, I prefer straight billiards and bent apples. These comprise the majority of my pipe collection. I also like a nice Oom Paul/Hungarian or churchwarden of any variety.
Appearance-wise, I like panels, bulldogs, and authors. Don't care as much for the feel of these shapes, though.
I also prefer the feel of rusticated or sandblasted pipes over smooth ones.

Reactions: Briar Lee

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have many different shapes and sizes to suit whatever mood I'm in at the moment. My favorite is the apple. I find it slightly more "organic" than a billiard and the thicker walls can keep the bowl a little cooler and easier to grip. If it has a 1/8 bend than it's easier to clench and somewhat out of my line of sight, so all the better.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Bullcaps, squat Rhodesians, small apples. All straight. I like pipes from the first half of the twentieth century, with smallish chambers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Very first pipe in the history would have been a straight hollow bone or stick, I would imagine. But there were some problems such as some idiots inhaling the whole lump of burning plant matter. So some genius came up with a bent shape to prevent such an accident. But the whore of a man who could such a bowling ball through a straw was still getting choked on the lump of said plant matter. All the pipe smokers gather around and discussed smaller hollow bone in a bigger hollow bone to stop the plant matter passing through. Now they had good idea of functioning smoking pipe. But some fashionista neanderthal decided it didn't look fancy enough and added an axe head to it and called it a war pipe. The pipe had have this dual purpose for some time. Smoking device with a killer appeal. The native Americans decided that was too violent. And took the axe off and added feathers and called it peace pipe. And they started smoking tobacco for the first time. After they were hooked on tobacco, they couldn't quit the damned thing. So, they hand it off to white men as a prank, and the white men took it to Europe and got everyone addicted. Now, some English gent saw that peace pipe and thought "shites. that crap is ugly" And the modern shapes came about. And I stick to this BS.

Fred_Scott

Lurker
Oct 27, 2023
I'm really enjoying this exploration into pipe shapes and everyones personal favorites! I particularly resonate with the simplicity and grace of billiards as burleybreath and Lumbridge pointed out. There's something timeless, about their design that never goes out of fashion. Lumbridge also sparked my curiosity with their mention of the Oom Paul/Hungarian and churchwarden varieties. Their distinct shapes add a charm to any collection. Edgers preference for bullcaps squat Rhodesians and small apples reflects a fondness for styles that have stood the test of time. Autumnfogs diverse selection of billiards, Canadians, liverpools, lovats and lumbermans showcases a range of tastes.. Bullet08, your humorous take on the evolution of pipe shapes is truly delightful to read!

Reactions: Derby and yanoJL

JackH

Lurker
Nov 23, 2023
I'm really enjoying this exploration into pipe shapes and everyones personal favorites! I particularly resonate with the simplicity and grace of billiards as burleybreath and Lumbridge pointed out. There's something timeless, about their design that never goes out of fashion. Lumbridge also sparked my curiosity with their mention of the Oom Paul/Hungarian and churchwarden varieties. Their distinct shapes add a charm to any collection. Edgers preference for bullcaps squat Rhodesians and small apples reflects a fondness for styles that have stood the test of time. Autumnfogs diverse selection of billiards, Canadians, liverpools, lovats and lumbermans showcases a range of tastes.. Bullet08, your humorous take on the evolution of pipe shapes is truly delightful to read!

By the way I recently came across an essay on the evolution of pipes. If my memory serves me right it was from a website called writemyessays.com although I might not be entirely accurate, in recalling the name.
The discussion, about the evolution of pipe shapes is absolutely fascinating! I've noticed, like Fred_Scott that the design of pipes in each era reflects the fashion and smoking trends of that time. Initially I was captivated by the Billiard shape. Recently I've developed a fondness for the Dublin shape due to its elegant lines. When Briar Lee mentioned the Marxman freehand it reminded me of the timeless artistry involved in pipe making, where sometimes style takes precedence over functionality. While I appreciate the aspect of freehand shapes I find myself drawn to the functionality and simplicity of billiards and bent apples much, like Lumbridge does.

Reactions: Derby and yanoJL

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
the Marxman freehand it reminded me of the timeless artistry involved in pipe making, where sometimes style takes precedence over functionality.
With Marxman Pipes, I would say it’s more functionality over style. There is little artistry 😁

All about taking a chunk of (?) flawed briar and gouging worm tracks and making a saleable item out of it

And credit to Marx for finding a large market for his creations 👏

Reactions: Briar Lee

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I used to have preferred shapes. Nowadays what attracts me is how a pipe maker both renders the shape and everything that goes into its finishing that will seal the deal and not simply shape. There are shapes I definitely do not like however.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have very few bent pipes, although I did enjoy a bowl of Peretti's 2023 Thanksgiving day blend in a Peterson flame grain spigot acorn/bent Dublin today. I prefer billiards, Lovat and Liverpool shapes and I alternate between short and stubby versions (5 inches and under) and those closer to 6 inches.